• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Put the car in "Park" !

Hey Ron, A similar thing happened to me, well not me but my mechanic and I was the cause. When I was stationed in Germany I did many jobs. One of my jobs was to drive a 2-1/2 ton truck. Well, I was having trouble with my brakes so my mechanic and I did a brake job on it and decided to take it for a test drive. When we returned to the moter pool there was another unit getting on line which meant I had to wait. I parked in front of where I needed to park which was between to lines of Armored Personnel Carriers. I was about one foot from the front of one of the APC's. If you have ever seen the front of one you would see that they come to a slight piont. Anyway, after about an hour wait they told me I could get back on line soooooo, my mechanic stood between my bumper and the front of the APC and put his hands up and gave me the sign to back up.(the 2-1/2 is so high I can only see from his wrist up) Well, I put in the clutch and rolled forward which pinned him between the two vehicles. His hands started shaking and turned beet red. I put the vehicle in what I thought was reverse but, was first gear, hit the gas and proceeded to push the APC three inched backwards with him between the two vehicles. I was so freaked out. I finally got it off of him and he fell to the ground. I was so scared that I couldn,t move. He was rushed to the hospital with a multi fractured pelvis. I have to tell you that at that piont I had never driven anything. They needed a driver, rushed me through the drivers training and gave me my license. It turned out that I recieved a letter of achievement. Anyway, I thought I would share that with you. I hope all is well and you are back on your feet. Scott

Yeppers,the good Lord was definately watching over you Ron!
Thanks to Him it wasn't any worse my friend.I wish you a fast and speedy recovery....And the XYL too! I'm sure she feels badly,but you just need to remind her that you're still here to talk about it and able to still walk and use your legs.
God Speed my friend and a Happy and Prosperous New Year :)
Slim CDX285

I'm glad you didn't get hurt any more than you did, very lucky in that part. Just keep an eye on the painful areas for extreme swelling (some swelling is to be expected) and/or brusing that gets worse, and won't go away. Not trying to freak you out or anything, but I am a former EMT ~10 years experience and have seen the injuries you describe. Most likley every thing is ok.....but just check it for awhile. Just want to see ya stay healthy and don't mean to sound over dramatic. I know that your wife feels bad, accidents like that happens alot more than people think. 73s, Pluto.

Thanks guys ! From some of the other experiences mentioned I truly was fortunate. My legs were sore today. I went to work but called my boss and told him what happened and let him know I was heading home. His work partner called my wife and said he wanted to talk to the lady that battered her husband LOL! Poor woman :LOL: Pluto, I'm not bruised but I never seem to ever bruise much. Just sore.

I used to drive a beat-up 1971 Dodge pickup that had a similar starter setup. When in anything but park or neutral, the starter solenoid wouldn't engage via the ignition switch. My truck also had an annoying glitch where the solenoid sometimes wouldn't engage via the key in ANY tranny position. One day I had to run to a local K-mart to grab something or other. When I came back out, the truck wouldn't kick over. So, I opened the hood, grabbed the tire iron I kept under there as a spare "key", leaned up (and over) the fender to a point where I could reach the starter poles (being short, this meant that my feat were off the ground and my weight was on my stomach across the fender), and proceeded to cross the starter poles. The healthy old 360 engine immediately fired right up with a loud crack and a good hearty rumble through the large straight pipes (I was holding the throttle open a bit), and the truck promptly pealed out and started off across the K-mart parking lot with me draped over the fender and under the hood. I managed to unwedge myself from between the hood and fender where I'd been tossed by the sudden start, and was able to half run, half jump, and half fall (I know it doesn't add up but thats how it was) into the open drivers door and apply the brakes before hitting any of the other Walmart patron's cars.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1