• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Putrid pontifications of a perverse nature...

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
The not so short list

LED's
flood lights, light strips, night lights, indoor spots, even the back lights for a laptop screen.
Florescent lamps
ballasts, half dead lamps, incorrectly wired, grow lamps.
Anything pulse width or pulse duration
This can include thermostatic controls, humidity controls, ionizers, aquarium heaters, automotive block heaters, infrared motion detectors, energy saving appliances such as refrigerators, hot water tanks, hot water demand units, washer, dryer, and anything with an unshielded part 15 device inside. which leads us to part 15
Part 15 devices
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This means one thing for sure. The device possibly emits some sort of interference.
It may be shielded if it does emit interference. It may not.
In a technical sense ANY switching supply is a part 15 device because they ALL emit some broad band interference. These can be anything from a baby monitor to a key fob. The small computers that control modern appliances all emit at the very least a clock frequency and harmonics as well as PWM/PDM signals.
As part of Part 15 include all your computer hardware and associated network appliances from network cards to switches, modems, cable modems, video cards, clock driven audio sampling, screen refresh rates.

I'll skip the dreaded Plasma TV as someone already covered it, several times.

Now the weird.

Lava lamp
antique 60Hz synchronous clock motor.
Neon bulb transient suppressor in an old console stereo
Replica Edison bulb (long filament) at the end of a 63 foot mains line resonating at 768KHz and ALL its harmonics.

And the technical

017877B1001A__W XM2 300HP CableUPS Technical Manual.pdf commercial
http://broadband.alpha.com/download...ower_supplies/xm2_series/technical_manual.pdf
04935410001_0610 XM2-300HP_Enhanced data sheet.pdf UPS
http://broadband.alpha.com/download...plies/xm2-300/XM2-300HP_enhanceddatasheet.pdf
http://broadband.alpha.com/download...plies/xm2-300/XM2-300HP_enhanceddatasheet.pdf
The 300HP is in a word, junk. Not only has the world passed it by it suffers from bad capacitors. In fact its major filter capacitor not only leaks physically but ESR. There are two versions of this abortifact in use. Those that have failed and those that will. These are located in Cable provider service boxes that are easily identifiable by the immense RFI field surrounding them. A simple bridge of 1N34's and a one foot wire will peg a 10ua meter within 10 feet. The failure mode is diagnosed by disconnecting your cable as it comes into the house and "looking" at the upstream with a cheap transistor radio. I guarantee broad band hash will be heard. Then check your noise floor. If it has decreased or near disappeared then you have found it.
What happens is the input to the charger is not bypassed, the free running oscillator that is the switching supply is not bypassed, the DC out to the batteries is not bypassed only filtered , likewise the rectified supply for the onboard logic is not bypassed only filtered. When the filter caps pass energy to ground there is an uninterrupted DC path out of the service box to the shield of the entire cable network spanning an entire neighborhood. Yes I said the shield of the cable becomes an antenna for the RF leakage from the Alpha .

I don't suggest that you pull these service boxes out of trees or out of the ground with your one ton dually but I seriously entertained a 5lb bucket of thermite placed on the box for the fourth of July . I was able to convince the local utility that cable company was at fault. You may not be so lucky. The power company hinted that they would not supply power to a RFI source. It was not only fixed but upgraded within days.

All I got for ya for now . carry on, as you were, the beatings will continue until morale improves...

Chinese and other fish tank air pumps... pretty much anything to do with the care and feeding of tropical fish. This really sucks, as my son and I are knee-deep in the hobby. Perhaps it is time to bail out.

"antique 60Hz synchronous clock motor." Yep.

Neighbors with Wo-Fat Christmas decorations.

Arghh.

Sounds like the best solution is to:

Buy 100 acres out in the wilderness somewhere.
Build a small dwelling smack dab in the middle.
Bathe, dress, eat, and read by candlelight.
And and operate my radio using car batteries.

Maybe the Unabomber's shack in Montana is for sale.
It'd be perfect! :)

My wireless system from ADT is not an issue. The digital board that controls the washer however is another story. I can listen on HF and tell when the drum reverses direction or speeds up.
I think ADT is more cognizant about that problem. I have an alarm system and it does not mess with my radios. I do have some neighbors that have a different system and the noise level goes up when I drive past their house.
The washing machine might have a problem in the design. I know it is a PWM controlled and maybe a three phase DC motor, We replaced our washing machine and went with an "Efficient Vertical" type. I don't know if it interferes or not, haven't been up there in a long time.

Our washer is a higy efficiency front loader and it is a beast at times for RFI. Just depends on the band too. Any switch mode power supply is apt to generate crap if it isn't designed for communications use. The PWM controllers are a PITA as well.

Our washer is a higy efficiency front loader and it is a beast at times for RFI. Just depends on the band too. Any switch mode power supply is apt to generate crap if it isn't designed for communications use. The PWM controllers are a PITA as well.
Have you tried grounding the chassis of the washing machine?

I negotiated purchase of a new location for our shop back in the 90s. It had a cemetery on two sides of the property, and a funeral home on one side. Nearest residential single-family neighbors were 100-plus feet across the street.

Seemed like a nearly-ideal spot to avoid interference to neighbors, so long as we didn't bleed into the funeral home's ceiling speakers.

While I was trying to "leverage" the equity on this building to cover a down payment, a VFW post bought it. Paid cash.

But I still consider a cemetery to be the ideal neighbor. Won't generate much RFI, and surely won't complain about it.

Reactions: N0NB and LeapFrog
I negotiated purchase of a new location for our shop back in the 90s. It had a cemetery on two sides of the property, and a funeral home on one side. Nearest residential single-family neighbors were 100-plus feet across the street.

Seemed like a nearly-ideal spot to avoid interference to neighbors, so long as we didn't bleed into the funeral home's ceiling speakers.

While I was trying to "leverage" the equity on this building to cover a down payment, a VFW post bought it. Paid cash.

But I still consider a cemetery to be the ideal neighbor. Won't generate much RFI, and surely won't complain about it.

Just be prepared for the late night phone calls (a la Twilight Zone).

Add wind generators to the list as well.

When I still ran HF mobile in the work truck up until a couple of years ago, I would drive through a wind farm around Diller, NE on NE 8 and I would lose the Central States Traffic Net on 7.2535 as I drove through. The noise floor raised enough that only about an S9 +10 dB or stronger signal could be heard. The generators were at least a quarter mile from the highway.

Since then, another wind farm has come online along US 36 just east of Beattie, KS. In that farm the generators are at least a half mile off the highway.

Where I live shouldn't be prime area for wind farms and they're earning a rather poor reputation among land owners, so I hope to not have to deal with them near me.

I can tell when a General Motors, Ford or Harley Davidson is approaching. Eacm make has a sound! Sad really. Between the alternator, injectors and fuel pump they are noisy beasts! Both RCI2950 and President Lincoln(original) pick them up really well! Most CB's seem to do a better a job filtering them out until they are right on top of you.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.