• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about scanners

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
K i want to get a scanner for my truck. I would like to have one that can pick up Cb Freq. Anyone have one that i can get CHEAP? i was told the older scanners could pick them up. And my other question. How far can a scanner range? As in miles. Would i be able to pick up a texas Fuzz or po po in my truck up here in Nebraska? Thanks for any info. CDX197

CDX197 said:
oh ya its illegal to have a scanner in your truck.
Fuzz wont catch me because i know were they would be at. :) And i cant get any CB freq on my older scanner. Is there a certain on i have to have to program them in to? Thanks CDX197

Ha Ha That is the biggest misconception about scanners.You will only know where the cop is that says something about arriving on scene.What about all the others that stay off the radio until they radio in that they are pulling over a vehicle? That vehicle may be you.

ok i will put it in the ashtray and IF i get pulled over they wont see it. :LOL: Yeah i know its a great idea. I dont know how i come up with them 8) . And as far as getting pulled over always carry a radar detector ;) CDX197

Ya me too :D It's in a potato feild in Fort Kent Me.
Went off just in time to let me know I was about to get a ticket :x

chucked it out the window in 1998 if you want it it's up there somwhere!!!

Even with radar detectors you can still get caught easily.Most radars are triggered only when the cop sees you and by then it is too late.The big thing now is LIDAR using lasers.Even with a radar detector you have to watch out for the cops using radar detector detectors.They work real well and if you even have a radar detector turned on in your vehicle it will detect it.Even if you are not speeding you can be pulled over for using one in a state/province where the use of radar detectors is illegal.I was pulled over once and asked if I had a radar detector in my vehicle and I denied it.(I did but stashed it real quick!)I was told that the officer had reason to believe I did because of his detector detector.I again denied it and told him that I was talking on the VHF radio as I went past him on the shoulder of the road.I lied a bit as I told him that the 2m radio I had was running about 100 watts and with the "very high gain" antenna I had I was probably creaming any radio receiving device he had in the cruiser at the time.In fact I could only run 50 watts with a Diamond SG2000 7/8 wave 2m antenna but I was not talking at the time and only just turned the radio on as he pulled me over.Then he saw the power cord hanging from the cigarette lighter socket and asked me what I was using that for then.BUSTED! :shock: Well not quite.I said "Oh that is to recharge the batteries in my HT in the dash" as I opened the glove box and pulled it out.Thank God he did not ask me to plug it in as the connector did not fit.He let me go and that was the first day that I decided that I did not really need a radar detector any more. ;)

hello there...

a couple of things...

many scanners can pick up 11 meter cb frequencys..
however typiclly scanners although often able to recieve those frequencys typiclly do not do so well..
as most scanners are optimised for VHF and UHF frequencys..

ofcourse the antenna will be very importent..

Later

CDX197 said:
oh ya its illegal to have a scanner in your truck.
Fuzz wont catch me because i know were they would be at. :) And i cant get any CB freq on my older scanner. Is there a certain on i have to have to program them in to? Thanks CDX197

If you would like to LEGALLY possess that scanner in your mobile, I would advise you to get yourself a Ham license; that way you can SAY it is for the 2 meter Amatuer band.

"Fuzz (substitute "FCC") wont catch me because i know were they would be at."

I cannot believe that I advised him to get a Ham License (somebody kick me!), This is the attitude and mentality that the KNOW CODE'rs worry about when the NO-Coders get on the Ham Bands.

Up here they call it, "Possesion of criminal tools" if they stop you and you have the police/fire channels programmed in.

However, it seems to be a moot point since they went from 460 Mhz to a 800 Mhz Trunked system that uses spread-spectrum technology; overnight thousands of scanners in our area became "useless".

I unloaded 5 scanners on eBay within a week (no use for them). Smaller towns and cities still use the old frequencies but the metroplex doesn't. Can't read the mail on the cops here without a Trunk-tracking scanner.

well looks like after 4 days i get a good response to a topic :) Well i went to check out my truck today and i have plenty of room for anything i want in there. Got a Radar detector and worked like a charm on the way home. Saved me twice. And as far as radar detectors being illegal i dont recall that they are in Nebraska. Everone in my family has used them for years and the cops havent said anything about them. when i was in GI staying at my grandparents house there was kids being pulled over left and right. There was two roads were you cruised and the cops were all on the east side of town were all the kids were messing around. But it would be nice to have on just to make sure they wernt heading your way. But after the ride home and not getting pulled over i will keep the detector. Thanks for the info guys.

It is not illegal to have a scanner in your truck in Nebraska. The only way it is illegal is if you are using it to commit a crime. AND radar detectors are NOT illegal in most states

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.