• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QUESTION: For my education. . .

crmzendrgone

CB newbie
Nov 29, 2010
M town Arizona
For my education if I am really starting to understand things:

This section of the antenna(Pic A) is the very same or does the same as this section on the other kind(Pic B)

Pic A
blackwidow-lg.jpg

Pic B
LilWil3_1_.jpg

If that is true than the Stinger/Whip on both kinds will need to be adjusted to get the SWR correct, right?

Thanks, Josh

Ok, :redface: I am kind of understanding that. I found this:
af64be30615.gif

So with the base loaded antenna the capacitive coupling is made through the magnet mounting surface????

Ok so here comes the not well thought out question: How does the other type antenna get is ground? Something tells me through the way it is mounted???

yup

you seem good at finding pictures of everthing, just study an antenna mounting stud

Ok so here comes the not well thought out question: How does the other type antenna get is ground? Something tells me through the way it is mounted???

it is a well thought out question if you don't know.

the other antenna gets its grounding either via an additional magnet or by directly grounding the coax shield/braid to the unpainted metalwork of the vehicle, usually by screw or a nut and clamp arrangement, different mounts achieve it differently but the principle is the same whatever way its done. the centre conductor and the whip it joins too are insulated from the vehicle bodywork either way.

Ok so what is the difference between Pic A and Pic B?

Pic A
Predator 10K 9" Trucker Antenna

predator9.jpg

Pic B
Black Widow 69" Black Open Coil Antenna

blackwidow-lg.jpg

Product Details

• Constructed of strong lightweight aluminum
  • 48" Stainless Steel Whip w/ Powder Coated Black Tip
  • Black Powder Coated For a Long Lasting Finish
  • Antenna Resonator Comes in 4 Colors
  • Actual Antenna Measures 19"
  • Total Length Comes in Around 69"
  • Outside Coil Diameter is 2 7/8"
  • Performs in 26.0 to 29.0MHz Range
  • Yields Maximum SWR of 1:1.4 Over a 2MHz Span
  • Yields Resonant Frequency SWR of 1:1.5 to 1:1.2
  • Handles a Maximum Input Power of 15,000 Watts PEP Under Normal Operating Conditions
  • Comes with 10 Year Limited Warranty From Manufacturer

Is it just the paint scheme and the manufacture??

The first difference between the two is construction. The bottom antenna's coils are welded to the shaft while the top one is built in a modular method that will allow the center coil to be replaced if it is damaged You can also use different shaft lengths with the Predator. Most people will probably say that the Predator has superior construction.

The next difference is the design of the coil. The bottom coil is a longer coil with more turns, the top is a shorter coil with fewer turns. When a coil is used in an antenna, generally less turns and a shorter, more "square" coil shape has less loss.

The next difference is the design of the coil. The bottom coil is a longer coil with more turns, the top is a shorter coil with fewer turns. When a coil is used in an antenna, generally less turns and a shorter, more "square" coil shape has less loss.

Forgive me what does that mean less loss, loss of what:redface:

What are the benefits of dual antennas and can you run 2 of the above type antennas?

Forgive me what does that mean less loss, loss of what:redface:

What are the benefits of dual antennas and can you run 2 of the above type antennas?

Wider materials can be wound in tighter coils as opposed to smaller materials wound in larger coils, the more material the more loss.

There is really no benefit to running dual (co-phased) antennas unless you plan on making your rig more directional and you have the headache of 2 antennas instead of one.

Forgive me what does that mean less loss, loss of what

Loss of RF energy, signal strength, etc. You probably won't notice the difference much, if at all between the two antennas, though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.