• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question regarding license upgrade

cmario

Apr 27, 2011
When I took the exam (upgrading to general) I filled out the papers and checked the box that said I would like a new call sign. I was told by one of the volunteers that they would take care of it. I just received my certificate in the mail and it still has my original callsign. My guess is someone dropped the ball. I’d like to know if anyone else has had this experience and if so is there anything I can do or is the vanity callsign my only option left?

KJ6OGA

If the form you filled out where you checked that box was an actual FCC form, then it was the FCC that screwed up. Otherwise, it must have been one of the volunteer examiners that didn't transcribe the info correctly.

Fortunately, there is a way to fix this, and it won't cost you any money. First, you need to register on the FCC's Universal Licensing System (ULS) web site so that you can manage your license online. Not sure if you already did this. If not, the login page is here:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

There's a link below the login boxes that says "Register with the FCC." You need to click that to sign up for an FCC Registration Number (FRN) which will be your user ID to access the system. At some point you'll be prompted to set a password too. (I don't remember the exact process; I set up my account at least 10 years ago). Note that once you're registered, you should receive notification in writing from the FCC that your account has been created. You'll get two letters: one with your FRN and registration info, and a separate one with your password. Keep these for your records.

Note: you probably already had an FRN assigned when your license was issued. If so, it will be printed on the license itself. You may still need to set up a password on the ULS site though. (I got my license before they created the online system, so I had to apply for one directly.)

Anyway, once you're registered, you should be able to associate your license with your ULS account, and then you'll be able to manage your license online. Once you're completely set up, the first thing you should see when you log in is a "Your license at a glance" screen which will show your current callsign and license info. On the right there should be a box that says "Work on this license," and one of the options should be "Request Systematic Callsign." Do this instead of requesting a vanity callsign.

You should be prompted to fill out a form and then submit it for processing. There's no fee for this, as far as I know. You'll be assigned the next available callsign in the pool for your license class and the zone number for your location. It'll probably take them about a week to do it. You'll get a new license certificate in the mail.

You can use the ULS to renew your license, change your address/contact info, request duplicate copies, and so forth. As far as I know, there's no fee for any of these things, _except_ for requesting a vanity call.

-Bill

Bill, First let me say thank you for the information. It’s people like you that make ham radio such a pleasure to be a part of. I’ll do as you say and will update this post on my progress.

Thanks again
Cesar

I think you are talking about what they call the online signature. I was a little confused about "Title" but after reading the description it's optional and not a requirement.

Thank you

Cool. One thing I'm not sure about is what format they're using for general class calls these days. It used to be that novices/technicians got 2x3 calls, generals got 1x3, advanced got 2x2 and extras got 1x2 or 2x1 depending on availability.

But in the past decade they changed the licensing structure and they started running out of some call formats, including 1x3 (which is why I'm glad I held onto mine). I'm pretty sure they're using the 2x3 for technician and 2x2 for extras in zone 6 now, but I don't about general. If they're using the 2x3 format for general too, the lack of change when you upgraded may have been intentional (giving you another 2x3 call would have just eaten up another slot in the sequence). If someone knows otherwise, hopefully they'll comment.

Anyway, I think it's up to the computer now. We'll see what happens.

-Bill

I wasn’t crazy about my callsign and figured I’d give it another whirl before checking out the vanity. And yes I heard they're running kind of thin. Got my fingers crossed and hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. HAHA!

Cesar

Vanity can be hit or miss so make sure you're happy with your first 5 choices at least.

I know I got my fourth choice on the last go around.

When I took the exam (upgrading to general) I filled out the papers and checked the box that said I would like a new call sign. I was told by one of the volunteers that they would take care of it. I just received my certificate in the mail and it still has my original callsign. My guess is someone dropped the ball. I’d like to know if anyone else has had this experience and if so is there anything I can do or is the vanity callsign my only option left?

KJ6OGA

You can also contact the VEs that administered the test. They in turn can contact the regional VE coordinator who seems to have direct access to the FCC.

The VEs messed up my name on the original CSCE...a short email to the VEs...and they emailed the VE coordinator (or whatever the postion is called) and he in turn changed the info at the FCC (verified by an email from the coordinator) and I had a corrected license within a week. All prim and proper.

All by the numbers...

YMMV...73

Michael
AC8IR

Update

Checked my Status at the Universal Licensing System website and at the moment my Status reads "Canceled". Just hoping that means my original call sign has been changed. :pop:

Thank you for the reply Michael

Weird. Maybe I was right about it being intentional that they ignored your request for a new call when you asked for it the first time.

If they do cancel the request I expect your call will remain the same.

There is a 'support' link on the ULS web site. There's both a phone number and an online support option. It's possible they'll send you something in the mail explaining why they canceled the request, but if they don't you can try using the support facility to ask for more info.

-Bill

I wasn’t crazy about my callsign and figured I’d give it another whirl before checking out the vanity. And yes I heard they're running kind of thin. Got my fingers crossed and hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. HAHA!

Cesar

Does the ULS frown on multiple try's using the Systematic Call Sign System?

Cesar

Last edited:
When I passed my extra I decided to change my call. checked the box and watched the data base. I was upgraded to extra but no call change, and no reason why. The next testing secion I went too, I told the ve's what had happened and what I wanted to do, they told me to be shure to check the box for change and initial the box to authorize the box I checked. without the initials it would not go through.(y)

I definitely remember initialing and checking the box. After checking FCC records it turns out it was the ve's that made the error. Everyone make mistakes. Anyway, everything has worked out and I have my new callsign which I'm not to happy with but what the heck I made General and I'm a happy dude. My wife is taking her Tech exam in two weeks and we're all pulling for her.

Thanks for the reply and 73
Cesar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.