• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quick question needs quick answer

The above question needs a quick answer...this one is a general question:

I've pretty much settled on getting a Kenwood HF rig. It seems that they come in 100 series, 400 series, 500 series, and 800 series, or at least that's what I've seen for sale in various places.

My question...am I right in that they are all pretty good radios, or are there ones I need to steer clear of or, alternatively, ones I really oughtta trey to get? If you've read my other posts elsewhere you know I'm on a VERY tight budget. Very.

They are all good for the most part with one of the bet being the TS-50(outside you budget I think). The 430 is a good rig that did have an issue with some of the pots. The 430 and 440 are good options if you don't want to tune when you change bands. There are still a lot of them on the air, just worked a fellow in NY this morning running 430s.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you know what the "dot problem" is I've seen mentioned in several articles, like in eham reviews?
The issus seems to relate to the relays used for keying. I am not a Kenwood expert but maybe someone else will chime in. Just remember you would be buying a 30 year old radio. That's not a bad thing just a FYI. My main radio is a Yaesu FT-101zd mkiii that is almost 40 years old. Still working like a champ. These thing are built to last, they are not CB's made for the mass market.

The "dot problem", as I understand it, is that sometimes the display will hiccup and all you see is -- well, dots.

Google kenwood dot problem - lots of information.

Just remember you would be buying a 30 year old radio. That's not a bad thing just a FYI.

LOL...I'm 59 so 30 tears old doesn't sound "old" for anything!

Missed on the 430S...$295.00 until last 30 seconds...went to $375.00 and I passed on it. I have 5 more radios on my EBay watch list, plus that 130 with the tuner and power supply on QTH. I'm calling on that one tonight.

LOL...I'm 59 so 30 tears old doesn't sound "old" for anything!

Missed on the 430S...$295.00 until last 30 seconds...went to $375.00 and I passed on it. I have 5 more radios on my EBay watch list, plus that 130 with the tuner and power supply on QTH. I'm calling on that one tonight.
The 130 sounds like the best deal.

Do you know what the "dot problem" is I've seen mentioned in several articles, like in eham reviews?

the thermal insulation around Vr-5 breaks down and causes the PLL to unlock.

I can be repaired if you have the patience to pick all that stuff out, reinsulate it, and adjust the voltages.

IMO, if you don't get a GREAT price, then pass on it. YMMV

later add,......... what I said above doesn't sound right but, I don't have the info in front of me,........... for some reason VCO-20 sounds better than VR-5.

in fact, it seems to me that VCO-20 becomes thermally unstable and VR-5 needs to be adjusted after the VCO is re-insulated to lock the PLL.

TS-440 DOT problem.

Kenwood used some potting compound to seal/ stabilize the vco's on the 440S,

This is a base/mobile rig so Kenwood thought the vco would need physical stabilized by use of a compound. worked great.

Then age ( as it always does) deteriorated the compound and it became corrosive thus the need to remove the compound and replace/rebuild the vco.

Parts are hard to find now to rebuild the vco and many repair techs will not work on the old 440's if they have a vco dot problem.

The 430 are ok. known issues on them are documented all over the net.

the TS 450 is a great rig also.

The 440 is the one with the dot issue, and most sellers will say if it has been addressed/fixed. The 430 has a relay issue that can be fixed easily. Tons of info online about these rigs. Either one in good working condition is a very solid HF transceiver, and you'll hear lots of them on the air.

Best advice I can give you? Don't get in a hurry and do an impulse buy. There are LOTS of rigs out there that come up for sale. Take your time to find the right one, and you will get the best bang for your buck.

If you need to scratch the HF itch and already have an android phone/tablet, you can download Pocket Ham Bands Transceiver from Google. You can listen on a "radio" and pick up stations from all over the world with it. It will also control several Yaesu rigs, but I don't do that with it. The program is free, and works great.

Brett

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.