• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio education....where to get

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
I am pretty new to the ssb world and want to educate
Myself and be legit. I am not a 2 hour aaaaaaauuudio kind of idiot but want to learn to make some good contacts while being in compliance. Where do i go?
Any info would be great.
Thanks

Yup, heck just listen in on 38 LSB for several weeks and then jump into the freebands above 40 for several days and you should be good. Pick a number you like and let er rip. A simple CQ DX 318 Indiana here and standing by, should work. ( obviously add your number and State)

The only real "compliance" on SSB is the FCC regulated limits. 12 watts and no more than 155.3 miles for a contact. Obey those if you wish, you might be the only one.

SSB folks don't like echo, noise toys, excessive cb jive, or roger beeps. That is the unofficial "compliance" you need to be aware of. Make up a number that means something to you, and start calling CQ. SSB is a blast, and contacts can be made all over the world.

I am strictly mobile for now, but I have made contact with Europe. No amp, just an HR-2510 and a Firestick. I hear World Radio 456 out of New Zeland alot, but I have never been able to make that contact. Not enough antenna.

I am pretty new to the ssb world and want to educate
Myself and be legit. I am not a 2 hour aaaaaaauuudio kind of idiot but want to learn to make some good contacts while being in compliance. Where do i go?
Any info would be great.
Thanks

Compliance? It's CB radio, just get out there and talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
All I can tell ya if you want to learn dont listen to me lol. Get a list of the q codes and act alittle more proper than AM and you will be ok. Dont use dx land and waving four fingers and a thumb and you will be fine. Peace!

Q-codes are not for use on voice. They are for CW (morse code). i hate when some idiot goes "QRT and standing bye". No reason you can not use your first name either, instead of some stupid number. Or you can just skip Cb and go straight to Ham radio.That will give you all the legit operation you want.
Rich

ssb is a totally different world from AM...as said above dont use 10 codes,roger beeps,echo....these things will get you chastized in a hurry....when I went ssb in my free band days I sat and just listened for a week or so to get an idea of how things were done ...after a while I finally got the nerve to pick up the mic and try to make a conatct.....what a surprise ! 20 watts of power and a ground plane antenna I was working the world !! Made contacts all over North America and into Europe...needless to say I was sold !

After several years I made the jump into ham radio and picked up my general class ticket...best move I ever made in the world of radio...now then all I need is the southern pole region and I will have every continent worked with 100 watts of power and a simple wire antenna

Q-codes are not for use on voice. They are for CW (morse code). i hate when some idiot goes "QRT and standing bye". No reason you can not use your first name either, instead of some stupid number. Or you can just skip Cb and go straight to Ham radio.That will give you all the legit operation you want.
Rich

I think I made you mad :D I guess you never hear it used for voice on the ham bands either? I must not be the only fool using them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code

http://kf7ekb.com/morse-code-cw/q-codes/

http://amateurradio-world.blogspot.com/2012/01/international-q-codes-for-amateur-radio.html

http://www.hamradiosecrets.com/ham-radio-codes.html

Last edited:
Cool, so just be me......not always the best plan but it'll work! I hate the damn roger beep so that will never be turned on. I have used minimal echo on am but not a problem there....it has an off position.
So dx 2fiiive1 Ca. Sayin howdy and will be lookin forward to maybe yakin at some of ya.
Great info...thanks
Tracy

Last edited:
Are q codes more of a ham thing? It sure seems a lot easier to just ask the question. Someone also said Morris code.
Also, what does "CQ" mean?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.