• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio shack element to replace D-104 element

rocket9244

Feb 20, 2014
My d104 element is bad so I decided to replace it with the radio shack element.
Looking online, I got the one with a red wire and a grey wire with the shield/ ground wrapped around it.
What wires go where?
My d104 is amplified and where the head votes, there is a white and a red wire.
I read that you put a capasiter on the base of the mic, to power the element.
Where on the base, the board?
So, has anyone done this and can you give detailed instructions please.. thank you.

Attachments

• rps20140219_124936.jpg
    rps20140219_124936.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 11
  • rps20140219_125133.jpg
    rps20140219_125133.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 11
  • rps20140219_125423.jpg
    rps20140219_125423.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 11

Don't have any idea on the Radio Shacks elements how to wire one or even if they are any good or not...

But when I rebuilt one of my D 104's I bought this HIFI element off ebay, and couldn't be happier! It comes with everything you need...element and resistor, and easy to follow instructions.

Check out the "before and after" sound tracks on the ad to hear the difference.

W2ENY HiFi Replacement Mic Element Modernizes Your Astatic D 104 T UG8 T UG9 Kit | eBay

Reactions: 1 person
i have used those elements and they do work good, but the radioshack element has a better more natural sound to it. they really work well for how cheap they are

Reactions: 2 people
ive found a good bit of readign and good things said about them radio shack elements in a d104 over the past month..
i may try one myself with the other 7 or so i will be experimenting with..
is it a dynamic? looks like the electret in my sadelta and on many mics..
check out this heil mic that is better with a cheap element.
scroll down and look wht he used and claims is way better:D i ordered the headset for the element myself.7 bucks free shipping,,fleabay.

Heil iCM Microphone - K3DAV.com - Amateur Radio Operator

I use the kit from RB micro. It even comes with die cut inserts and the element sounds fantastic. link below

XTLK D-104 replacement element kit - Mic Elements

That one looks very similar to the old Johnson crystal elements. I had some old hand mics, and tried them in my D104. Unfortunately, the units I had were dead. Boo! I have been told they sound great, though. The kit looks nice. I have a Heil HC-5 around here somewhere that I used in a dead head D104, and it worked really well. Just needed to talk close to it is all.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.