• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radios with rolling frequency issues

Sideways

Mar 18, 2013
southern ohio
I just wanted to share this with ya'll. I'm sure some of you have dealt with this issue before. I am no tech or guru, just enjoy the hobby. So if I leave anything out please jump in here.
I work on my coworkers radios from time to time. We pull dump trailers so these radios take a beating. I have had quite a few that would jump through frequencies. Turn the radio on and the counter would start at say
27.195mhz, and climb to the 30's. Those that weren't a vco or xtal problem, I would start poking around the solder side around the pll.
I noticed while touching up solder joints in this area, there would be wax in the old solder, and some of
the components were not making connection.
Leave the components in the board. One joint at a time, make sure to remove all the old solder. I use a solder sucker then a desolder braid. Melt away any wax residue with your iron just before resoldering. Sometimes you will see some wax residue roll off the joint when youre done. I've done 5 or 6 radios this way with no problems.
I don't know how common this problem is, but it seems to be common where I work. Lol
Have no idea if the wax is there from production, or if it just seeps through after time in a hot vehicle.
Just wanted to give a heads up. Hopefully this will help troubleshoot some rolling frequency issues.

Galaxy brand radios?

It hasn't been specific to a certain brand, although they have been ranger made radios with the exception of 2 cobra 29 classics
Gen lee
Connex 33
Mirage 44
Galaxy 99v
I will note that all of these radios were at least 8yrs old or older.
Another co worker has a galaxy 55v that is supposedly doing the same thing. If it turns out to be the same issue, I will post pics.

The ones that i have seen come across the bench with rolling issues have been the galaxy line, 959's etc and bad solder or cold solder joints have been the issue around the PLL VCO components.

Takes A lot of time to go through and re-solder all those joints.

I had two 99v's here last week. One had a bad 10.24 xtal and the other was this issue. I should've took pics then, but didn't think of it at the time.

It seems like a cold or bad solder joint. You can push on the components, and the frequency jumps back to where its supposed to.

Could it be I'm drawing the wax out when I melt the solder?
Would'nt a bad solder joint most likely show up sooner?

I don't resolder the whole section. Ill poke around until I find the shorted component, and resolder it and a few around it. Theyre usually caps right around the edge of the board.

Its not wax but old lacquer that they used to spray on boards in the 80's to make them look all shiny.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.