• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ranger 2950 11 meter conversion

B

bettyedavis

I want to buy the dx 2950...All I need is how to make it work on 11 meters.....I usually go to cb tricks...but i must be brain dead tonight.
Gi joes has a real good price......is this place ok?
thanks
preacherman

ranger rci 2950

i run a ranger 2950 dx in my big truck i purchased it and got it converted it sucks but if you are not a qualified tech i suppose you have no choice i would recommend the ranger rci 2950 or even upsize to the 2970 big radio with power all in rangers are a superior radio for talking ssb no doubt my friend best 73 s from ireland 29 division

FL Native is correct, you have to do an alignment also. It is not hard to do if you are set up to do it. If you are only going to mod out one or two it is cheaper to get someone to do it, if you will be doing more then get the equipment to do it. Would be nice to be able to just plug in the e-chip.

Reactions: rcjr and Slowmover
Never hurts to verify proper alignment. We do that, as a defensive/quality-control measure. But we have the equipment to measure receiver performance. My experience with those radios has been that the improvement is usually small. It contains "track-tuning" circuits that make the radio broad banded. Uses the PLL's tuning voltage to drive voltage-controlled capacitors. Has the effect of the radio "re-peaking" itself automatically as you change operating frequency.

Now and again we see a radio that was aligned on the assembly line either Monday morning or Friday afternoon. That radio will exhibit an improvement you can hear. Sometimes the factory doesn't get it perfect.

But it's rare.

Not worth the trouble to set up the equipment for one radio. Well worth doing if all that stuff is readily at hand, since it won't take long. Especially if all the adjustments are already peaked within one-half of an S-unit already.

This does not so much apply to the simpler "channel selector" radios with a 40-click selector on them. Most of those are not track tuned, and far less broad banded as a result. Peaking one of those for 11 meters nearly always makes a difference you can hear. And measure.

Ordered mine today from Bells.
Verified with the nice gentleman on the phone that I wanted it unopened factory sealed.
He did tell me that it has to be converted to work as a CB which I told him I was aware and the factory echip should be in the box and I would handle the conversion myself.
The gentleman didnt seem overjoyed at this update and even a bit saddened, but promised the radio would ship today. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.