• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 2970n2 tips.

johnniekirk

Jun 23, 2013
Just received my Ranger 2970n via Ups yesterday. Just wondering if you fellow forum members could give me a few tips about the radio. The radio has been modified but, nothing else. Thanks.

The most important thing is who tuned it? The N2 radio can have issues if the tech has no clue how to tune and align it properly. So where did you buy it from?

(please don't say Copper or H & Y)

No alignment done yet. Just the 10 to 11 meter modification. Is the alignment really necessary?

Where did you buy the radio?

Out of the box your radio is a 10M ham radio that's "ballparked" in at the factory. Most Export radio's need a conversion, receive alignment, and checked to make sure the transmit and receive is on frequency. Next up would be a transmit alignment as well as an amperage draw check. Many N2 radio's have an unusually high amperage draw due to some bias settings being off as I recall. It was so bad on some radio's they needed a 52 amp power supply, correct amperage draw should be under 25 amps wide open.

I am of the opinion that all cb and Export radio's need a checking over from a tech at the time of purchase. That is the difference between sounding ok or average on the air Vs. people saying WOW that radio sounds great.

Then it looks like it will be taking a little trip. Probably out to Ramona Ca. Can't have no sucky assed sounding radio.

Just hook it up and check output power. If it's close to factory specs, then move on to an audio check from your trusted locals. If that's OK, compare the receive against a known radio. If that's OK, start talking on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.