• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GLM927

Oct 25, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hey Everyone

Hope someone can help.? First off I am not a tech and know absolutely nothing about radio tuning or modifications.

I own a new Ranger Long Horn Amateur Radio, but on SSB such as 38LSB or 36LSB it starts to drift brutally when the radio gets warm but fine when it's cold.

What could cause this.? I'm located in Ontario Canada in case someone knows a good tech In the province.

Hope to hear from someone and maybe it can be fixed by just turning a pot

Cheers
Duane
AKA 927 Great Lakes Mobile Or
927 Ontario Canada Mob

It's an unstable radio to begin with, it just is. A good alignment after a proper warm up should help. Maybe some clarifier mod as others do and that's about all you can do for that guy.

Reactions: Pez
Check your local cb shop, they may be cheaper than online. The amp section is rock solid and doesn't draw many amps for the watts produced.

The rt1 final section in the radio is 2 driving 2 with 1 bias control for each pair so replacements have to be matched with component tester.
It should be noted for ssb users that you cannot reach the 00 frequencies without mods.

Any time you shove a 400-600 watt amplifier inside an Export radio like that you will have drift. That's just the way they all are. The most stable Exports are processor controlled but they can drift some as well. The old school Galaxy 88 & 99 will drift like a sailboat on SSB. Especially in a mobile during the winter.

You can try an alignment but as much heat as that radio will build up it's just going to drift a bit on SSB. Ham radio's (true Amateur radio's) are built much better and have things like a TCXO circuit in them. The RCI radio's are considered Export radio's. Just glorified cb sets that are easy to convert to 11m.

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.