• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI 29 Base Station

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
A step in the right direction. Supposed to be the surface mount board from the 99n1.

img_3011-1.jpg

Reactions: Crawdad7 and Keto

Seems decent especially because the 2547 still sells way too pricey. However, I do NOT like the digits in red while the freq counter is white. Lazy staff won't match them, but I guess in reality, it is more credited to a effective price cut...

That is my 2 cents 73, Retro

PS: Since I have a LesComm 2547 it pretty much negates buying one too!

Yuck. It's the exact same on the outside as the Galaxy 2547 ! With that same horrible styling that looks like it walked straight out of 1989 LOL! It just looks really cheap somehow. It really screams "Wanna be ham radio".

Hopefully they have dealt with some of their longstanding problems (drifting wildly, cold solder joints, slightly bent boards, etc.) and have made improvements to quality control........ but I have my doubts.

I'm sure the price is outrageous too. Please make sure I am sitting down before you tell me ha ha !

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Walcott has them in stock. Strangely enough, they are listed as "refurbished". But they are brand new.... Maybe they made the units themselves?

I noticed the "refurb" units are listed as having 100 Watts output vs 80 Watts for new. Possibly they've done some work on some of them and Ranger won't let them sell modified units as new?

I noticed those too yesterday on a video. I'll be just watching and seeing who all gets into what with those.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Yuck. It's the exact same on the outside as the Galaxy 2547 ! With that same horrible styling that looks like it walked straight out of 1989 LOL! It just looks really cheap somehow. It really screams "Wanna be ham radio".

Hopefully they have dealt with some of their longstanding problems (drifting wildly, cold solder joints, slightly bent boards, etc.) and have made improvements to quality control........ but I have my doubts.

I'm sure the price is outrageous too. Please make sure I am sitting down before you tell me ha ha !
Not that I will ever buy one, but the look is exactly what I like about it. It looks like an actual radio, not a computer in a box with a mic.

It looks like an actual radio, not a computer in a box with a mic.
I agree that it does look like an actual radio......I'm just not a fan of that tacky 1990's chrome look. It would look so much nicer if the scheme was reversed and it had a black or grey finish with brushed chrome knobs. Also as mentioned above, having different color LED's in the channel display and the counter looks really cheap.

I do give them full cred for that nice big analog meter though ! That's one of the nicest meters I've seen on a CB radio ! And it's an actual meter, not a digital simulation of a meter.

I bought a new 2547 a few years ago because I got tired of the 2 old Uniden Washington 3 buttons I had, and I'm still not real impressed with the 2547. But just a couple day ago I took my Ford Expedition on a run and turned on my DX 979 and was impressed with the receive and clarity on that radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.