1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ranger rci 2970 N2

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by skip searcher, Nov 12, 2017.

1. skip searcher

skip searcher
    Expand Collapse

I would be interested in hearing from owners of ranger rci 2970 N2 as I'm looking for a high powered radio for a base what other options would I have as I'm not a licenced ham operator I'm also based in Ireland

2. sp5it

sp5it
    Expand Collapse
    Master of puppets

Receiver not better than superstar3900.
    It have power and big digits for blind operators.
    Bunch of garbage if you ask me.
    Mike

3. boydjt

boydjt
    Expand Collapse

I really like mine. People complain about the noisy receive, but I just adjust the rf gain. It will really pull out the weak signals then.
    I have received nothing but praise on the quality of the audio. I purchased the unit without any mods and did the echip conversion myself. On frequency and very stable. Heat sink gets warm-not hot. Fans on the bottom turn on as required by the temperature sensor. I like it a lot. Easy to use and best value for your dollar.

undertaker likes this.
  4. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna
    Expand Collapse

I owned a original 2970DX and also tested the N2 and I'd take the old 2970DX any day of the week. It was a workhorse and never had a single issue while many of the N2 models tend to be very picky. For the price of a new N2 you really should look at some of the low end HF ham radios as they really have everything the N2 has plus more features and higher quality.

LeapFrog and 2RT307 like this.
  5. BBB

BBB
    Expand Collapse

Do not operate the 2970DXN2 over 14 VDC. Bad JuJu for the MOSFET's in the amp section.

6. DXman

DXman
    Expand Collapse

Well my N2 is of the 1st series and I sent it to DBT on the east coast of the USA for a general tune.
    It came back doing 225 watts on SSB and 250 on AM, that's @ 14.2 volts. I have now had it for about 5 or 6 yrs and no complaints with it.

In all honest though, I really do like the 2970dx models a little better, they only produce 90 watts mostly and it's just right for talking DX.

I only use my N2 when I may need to get that really hard DX contact of some far away place. The "white noise" on the N2 is "quieter" than on my 2970's. I also use a Heil Clear Speech external speaker on all my radio's, which really improves the receive.

I think I used the N2 for about 30 hrs in the last 5 yrs.

The radio works as is, would I buy one again? No.

tecnicoloco likes this.