• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger rci 39 vhp plus

DaveEbelII

Jul 4, 2023
Glendive Montana
I'm going to start by saying I should have never bought this thing...
I'm in search of any info on the above radio . This thing sucks ........
the receive is horrible, it's supposedly brand new yet it's all buggered up in the back by the finals(MOSFETs) you can see the pliers marks on the jumpers where they bent them out of the way .. it looks like a kindergartner soldered this mess .. it's freaking horrible... I cannot believe I paid 389$ for this hunk of junk ... I found three jumpers not even soldered in place and 2 diodes with unsoldered ends just chillin there. Fixed that up got my receive back . The audio didn't work right out of the box. Not only was the mod pod turned all the way down there was also a wire in the harness that was chopped Dang near right in two .. I'm guessing the fella is buying factory rejects and selling them as new. Or Rangers quality and plummeted....

• Haha
Reactions: sp5it

giphy.gif

Reactions: DaveEbelII
Ranger won't ship a radio with that kind of nonsense inside. Somebody on this side of the Pacific opened the radio, finger-f**ed, played all the good out of it, and then resold a broken radio as a working one.

Good luck with the schematic search. RCI has abandoned their previous open policy with service data and gone silent.

Reactions: DaveEbelII
Ranger won't ship a radio with that kind of nonsense inside. Somebody on this side of the Pacific opened the radio, finger-f**ed, played all the good out of it, and then resold a broken radio as a working one.

Good luck with the schematic search. RCI has abandoned their previous open policy with service data and gone silent.

Well I tell ya what .. never buy a radio from that SILVER DEALS fella on eBay .. he's the crackpot I bought it from.. biggest mistake ever ...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
:: UPDATE::
After coming to terms with the fact that I'm screwed I decided it's already messed up anyway what's the worst I could do?!
So I cleaned up the soldering mess and made sure there was nothing touched that shouldn't be I flipped it over and tore off the faceplate..
Here's the klinker , the damn ground wire for the echo knob was pinched in-between the green and yellow wires on the band switch and it was pinched damn near in half . So I fixed that and two other kinked wires and we gotter up and running.. what a nightmare..

Dave
0400 Montana
Ch 20 AM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.