• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger SR-158 & ranger 2970/2950 mic

purenrg

Jan 27, 2009
Is the Ranger sr-158 mic the same internally as the Ranger 2950/2970 mic excluding the channel up & down buttons?

The Ranger SR-158 is the same as the Mic that is used for the Ranger 2970, 2950.

At least that is what is labeled on back of the 29xx series of Ranger Mic.

I think there was a period of time that they used a much cheaper mic, but now they are using the SRA158.

CBRadioMagazine.com - RCI-2970N2 10 Meter AM/FM/SSB Export Radio Review

"RCI has ditched the previous coffin style looking microphone and added a modified SRA-158 with up/down buttons on the side. This was definitely something that made me happy as I consider the SRA-158 as one of the best stock microphones on the market. I've found this microphone to match up well on many radios and upon giving it a test in conjunction with the new N2 I found it sounded better than the previously included microphone and gave the radio louder audio and more swing - especially on AM."

102_3412%20(Small).jpg

i'd like to hear what a 2018 xtreme (with no echo/DT) sounds like through a 2950DX . anyone one tried it ?

Reactions: 1 person
I can add that every SR-158 mic that I've ever seen that CAME with a radio new, was a very good sounding, loud mic.

But I've tried a "new SR-158" mic that was being sold on eBay by themselves that did not sound good at all. Maybe somebody got hold of a load of factory 2'nds or something that had problems.

Don't by an SR 158 "new" off of eBay

Are you making this judgment after the one you got off Ebay, or have you tried more than the one stated?

That sounds very odd?

I can add that every SR-158 mic that I've ever seen that CAME with a radio new, was a very good sounding, loud mic.

But I've tried a "new SR-158" mic that was being sold on eBay by themselves that did not sound good at all. Maybe somebody got hold of a load of factory 2'nds or something that had problems.

Don't by an SR 158 "new" off of eBay

Check out this lemon, brand new out of fhe box today. Came with a 2970NX series radio brand new., First sign of problem, radio goes berserk ( clicking noise from radio with TX on lcd lit ) with mic connecfed but no issue with no mic connecfed.

Further inspection showed the plug didnt have a screw and was almost hanging out, opened UpTo see if any solders or shorts were present, lo and behold red wire copper strand stray touching blue wire and some other piss poor soldering arrangements with bare wires pussy galore. Hopefully didnt trash the rig.

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_235732.jpg
    IMG_20170610_235732.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170610_232409.jpg
    IMG_20170610_232409.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170610_232315.jpg
    IMG_20170610_232315.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170610_232258.jpg
    IMG_20170610_232258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Check out this lemon, brand new out of fhe box today. Came with a 2970NX series radio brand new., First sign of problem, radio goes berserk ( clicking noise from radio with TX on lcd lit ) with mic connecfed but no issue with no mic connecfed.

Further inspection showed the plug didnt have a screw and was almost hanging out, opened UpTo see if any solders or shorts were present, lo and behold red wire copper strand stray touching blue wire and some other piss poor soldering arrangements with bare wires pussy galore. Hopefully didnt trash the rig.

Must be a Copper or H&Y special. Always buy a radio from a place that does good tech work. This way they check everything over then tune and convert the radio one time and it's done.

Must be a Copper or H&Y special. Always buy a radio from a place that does good tech work. This way they check everything over then tune and convert the radio one time and it's done.
This was a radio that was sold as brand new. However from what I have learned recently, it would appear that some radios come out from the factory a dud, and need to be put in working order prior to shipping, lets not forgot the N2 version and the juice it drew, I have my doubts about that issue being fixed on the N4 also, since even on the low power setting the LCD display dims on the radio itself as the relay clicks into TX mode. Connected directly via 8 guage wire ( 4.5 feet length ) to battery terminals. Lets be honest, the quality of workmanship aint there anymore, pay peanuts to your workers and guess what? You get monkeys.

Hopefully the mic didnt trash the radio. Will check with another mic later this week, since when unkeying the mic the tx meter spikes to max.
First few seconds indicating issue.
https://goo.gl/photos/7NpCCaVU56wxWp12A

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.