• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger SSB radios or?

Roccobones

Feb 15, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have been investigating and interested in purchasing a Ranger RCI2970N4. Then just a few days ago, I was told to take a good look at the Ranger 669FFB4. Well, a few days ago I stumbled upon this web site and noticed some folks on this site talking about custom radios far superior to the rangers, therefore I am totally confused...

My goal is to purchase a good, reliable, powerful, mobile system that I can use in my truck...

I am hoping some of the members here can point me in a right & truthful direction, it seems that there is a lot of b**l s**t out there...

Thank you for your time and consideration...

The real difference w/no BS?

The difference is in if you are going to run AM only; or use SSB and AM. If so; then the 2950DX is far more stable than in SSB mode than the 669 is. The 669 is prone to dift off freq.

If you are in to AM/only; then I would suggest getting an AM/only radio. They have stronger modulation by design. Save yourself the time and money.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Agreed, the RCI 2950 or 2970 are
much better SSB radio's but lack the big modulated radio sound on AM.

It's up to you to what's more desirable what people will hear on the other end, big AM modulation or SSB frequency stability.

Reactions: 222DBFL
What these guys said is the truth..make up your mind what your favorite mode is AM or SSB ..I like both but use different radios to achieve better performance...uniden 68 AM president 2510 ssb

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
I definetly can confirm that the 69ffb4 is a drifter, I would much rather have the 2970n4 if I had choose between the two.. But for me I would rather have a uniden grant xl and a seperate 4 pill rather then everything in one box.. :)

I have both a 2950 and a 2970 ... both radios function flawlessly ..they are totally stable on ssb with absolutely no drift.. on air reports are very good with the stock mics ... both have had the frequency expansion ... i run the 2950 thru a 650 superstar with no issues but the rf power is turned down to acceptable amp input levels.. if you can find a better ssb radio buy it and let me know what it is !! good luck !! XXX

Since this was posted in the ham section I am assuming you will be running these on the ham bands? For what your going to pay for rigs you might want to look at an ICOM 7000 or Yaesu 857. If what your going for that "CB" am audio then stick with what you are looking at.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
mr. roccobones you might also consider a anytone at-6666 ... I have one in my 2016 Nissan titan that works very well as it is compact and fits in tight spaces... it also is a very reliable, very stable radio that sounds sood on am or ssb ...I get great on the air reports and it works well with my texas star non-hd amp.. good luck

Also the Optima MK3 is another radio to consider. I beleive the dealer in NZ, which is a member here still has a few left. Google Optima MK3 and the place to buy then is Yeticomm. This would be the only other export radio besides the RCI radios that I would consider. Anything else, I would have to agree with W9cll, get an HF radio.

the lincoln II has a new plus model out it does everything you would need in a small package.am and ssb stability are very well known with the uniden products.. RIC makes very cheap mainboards
index.php

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.