• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-29 purchase update: Beware!!!

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Just posting on my review of the new RCI-29 base radio.

Two of my local friends joined together and bought 2 of the RCI-29 bases from Anderson Radio Supply located in SC. They had to place a pre-order about 3 weeks ago for the radios.

Well, the radios finally arrived at their homes. One guy immediately hooked his up, checked his SWR (I've taught all these operators around here to always check that SWR before starting a rag chew conversation) which was great, let the radio warm up for 15 minutes then keyed up and started rag chewing.

To be honest, the 29s have superb audio in that it's crystal clear at any power level and still plenty loud.

Now with the issue:
My friend talked on his brand new RCI-29 yesterday for about 5 hours, then the output went out. He turned it off, waited for 15 minutes, turned it back on, only outputs 2w at most now. Everything else still works great, just the output is shot.

My other friend hooked his up today, didn't even get to talk on his. He keyed up and got nothing on output.

My guess on the first one is the factory has the bias above 4.10v on the driver/finals, causing them to run hot and shut down, or the regulator is shot or the driver or a final is shot.

My guess on the second one is manufacturer defect. They sent them both back for repairs.

I told them to stick with old school if they want my alignment or work, cause I don't do surface mount radios, and older radios do just as good if not better after a complete recap and proper alignment.

My advice on the RCI-29 base:
Give it time to flow through the radio community before purchasing one, give others time to find out all the issues/bugs first.

Just had a local buy a 69+ from an online source instead of me. It lasted him about 20 min.
If he had bought from me It would have been aligned properly and I would have fixed It for free if something like that happened, Now he is going to have shipping expense regardless if they cover the repair or not.
DONT BUY BASES ON LINE. BUY LOCAL. shipping will kill you.

It's completely inexcusable for any company to sell a radio that has to immediately be "tuned and aligned" by a shop after purchase, because if you don't it will stop working almost right away !!!! Especially one that costs twice as much as the competition !

Imagine if you went and bought a brand new Ford that cost twice as much as the equivalent Chevy, but couldn't use it until you went to the garage and spent more money getting it tuned first. And if you didn't do that, the motor would seize within 10 miles or the wheels might fall off !!
You would an idiot to spend twice as much in the first place, and you would be mighty unhappy when the motor quit !

Friends don't let friends buy Ranger products. Because they are complete crap.
Full Stop.

Reactions: Hawkeye351 and Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.