• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX & RCI 2970DX Question

w4bss

Aug 7, 2011
I have a RCI 2970DX that has smoked. The main board is burned beyond repair. But the Amp section of the 2970DX is still in great shape.

My question is.....Can the Amp section from the 2970DX be fitted to a 2950DX??

I know it's the same board, but how does the amp key up?

On my 2970DX the amp has a Brown & Black wire that plugs into the main board.
On the 2950DX that plug is not there, so can I solder the Brown & Black wires to the board so the amp will key up??

Or have I just lost my mind!!

Thanks for the help!

No, You are correct. However. I wouldn't just solder the wires to the main board, But rather remove the plug socket from the spent board and install it on the RCI2950DX. By doing this you would facilitate an easier repair if it had to be removed for whatever reason.

Ok sounds great!
Now once I solder the plug socket on to the main board of the 2950DX will that be all I need to do?? PLUG & PLAY?????

After the plug is installed is the circuitry there on the 2950DX like on the 2970DX to key up the amp or will I need to do a mod beside just installing the plug socket?

Thanks for the help!!

No, I do not think it will be plug and play. Making the electrical connections is easy, But you will have to reference the service manual for the spec's if they are different from the 2950dx. You never mentioned if the 2950dx used mosfet finals or not? if it does you will have to ask someone more experenced than I with mosfets. As I am not totally sure.

If you are not fluient with working on these I would have someone do it for you. And sometimes setting up the bias on the 2970 can be tricky.

Sorry i couldn't be of further assistance.

73's

Another thing you might look at is if the model you are converting has dual finals in the output section before the Amp.
I have not been inside the 2970-DX non mosfet model, but I do know from experience that some of the 2970`s that used Bipolar transistors ( 2312`s and the 2X2290) only had 1 2sc2312 driving the 2290`s.
As MS has said you may have to make some changes in set-up( reduce the power output of the radio to prevent over-driving the PA section) because of the dual finals.
Look and see if the old 2970 has 1x2312, 2x 2312`s or dual IRF520`s and proceed accordingly.

Jeff

Thanks guys!
Both are Non Mosfet radios. The 2950DX has 2312's "1 driver & 2 finals".
The 2970DX has 2312's but "1 driver and 1 final".
So the 2950DX has dual finals but the 2970DX only has 1 final. I noticed my old RCI-2990 is the same way with only 1 driver and 1 final.

This has got me thinking now!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.