• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950DX transistors or mosfets?

That radio should already do 35-40w pep shouldn't it?

no . the 2x 1969 2950s usually are around 25-30 . some have reported 35
watts but thats really driving the snot outta it. i suppose if ya volted it and
added a swing kit ya could get to 40 .lol. wink wink

Hotrod is right. it swings to about 25 watts on a "whistle".

Update:

After digging into the posts in the CB modification section of this board, I seem to have found some info on this subject of the mosfets. The majority opionion is that the 'fets are no better, and possibly worse than the original transistors. it's not an upgrade, just a solution to the problem of transistor unavailability.

Thanks for the all the replies to this post.

Last edited:
Firstly irf 520n were never designed as rf transistors, 2sc1969 were. Secondly no-one will notice an extra 10w from 25,most would struggle to notice a difference at 50w, its a lot of work for no gain,wait to your 2sc1969's blow then consider mosfets, mosfets are also known to explode if you set bias too high, about 6-8w AM swinging 24-32 pep on AM or 24w pep on SSB is ideal on the 1969's, bare in mind components around them are designed to work at those power levels, you start screwing every ounce of power, you'll sound dreadful, inevitably blow your finals and possibly damage surrounding components too

If you want the radio to do the best it can do, leave it alone.

Reactions: 9C1Driver
I have a RCI-2950DX with transistor driver and finals (2SC1969's). I also have 3 mosfet IRF520's on hand that I could swap in place of the transistors.

Besides the "negative" of the labor involved in the swapout, is there anything to be gained by the swap? Will the 'fets give more watts out? Would the radio be prone to a greater level of harmonic output?

I'd like to hear the pros and cons from members who have made the swapout.

I know that there is more than just the devices to the swapout... resistors, caps, etc.

I don't mind doing the work if I know there will be a measurable improvement in performance.

Thanks.
I am taking out the finals of non transmitting 2950 dx that has those irf520s. I am hoping that if I put the 2sc1969 in its places, it will last. was wondering, where on the service manual does it say what you need for the finals and drivers? Its such a complicated schematic. thank you

Whooaa Nellie!

Can't just swap between the one type and the other type part.

Circuitry and components wrapped around the driver and final transistors are very different, from the original 1969 circuit, and the post-2007 radio with the IRF MOSFET parts.

It's a major changeover, even if you're familiar with all the nitty-gritty details.

And if you aren't, you'll find that simply swapping between the one part and the other just won't work. In either direction.

Agreed. When RCI had to make the switch to mosfets a good portion of that section of the radio had to be re-engineered. You will have quite a bit of work to change the radio over to the old school finals. They are not a direct swap. Best bet is stick with the 520, 2030's, or the 13n10 mosfet depending on what you can find for your repair.

I am taking out the finals of non transmitting 2950 dx that has those irf520s. I am hoping that if I put the 2sc1969 in its places, it will last. was wondering, where on the service manual does it say what you need for the finals and drivers? Its such a complicated schematic. thank you
I have noticed the irf520 is very cheap on ebay. american seller, 10 for $7.95 why is that? where should buy them to get reliable ones? thanks

The IRF520 has three things going for it.

First, it's an old design that any manufacturer in that business can make with the factory they already have. No need to buy fancy new (expensive) equipment to make these. Pretty sure they no longer have to pay royalties to International Rectifier, who invented the part in the first place.

Second, anything made by multiple competitors will always be cheaper than a part made by only one.

Third, it's made in monster quantities to use in anything from a LED yard light, compact fluorescent bulb, or engine control unit.

The bigger the manufacturing quantity the lower the unit cost.

This all adds up to a component that's stupidly cheap, even when you buy it from a reputable source. Naturally the fly-by-night sources are cheaper yet.

Just one little problem. Well maybe a couple.

It can't stand SWR, and tends to fail if it's gets much over two to one. No SWR in a LED yard light. Just wasn't built with that in mind.

It's not efficient. The IRF520 and siblings waste as much as twice the power supply's power as a RF amplifier transistor. If you sell a part for RF, efficiency is an important feature to provide. This is why they tend to run hot, along with the modulator transistor that feeds power to them.

And there's the problem. If you design a MOSFET to be a RF amplifier, it's built differently on the inside. Makes it cost a LOT more to make and sell.

When a factory can choose between a IRF that costs a quarter, and a Mitsubishi "RD-HHF" part that costs four bucks, which way do you think they'll go?

The manufacturer's attitude will be "It blows up too soon? Well, come back and buy another one".

And if you think a radio that doesn't commit suicide so soon would compete with the cheaper radios, you're free to start your own factory and brand. You'll find out.

I replaced the 3 mosfets. Still, no output. I am looking for a place to send it for repair, but some have not answered my emails, and one said they do not repair the ranger 2950 dx. Does anyone know of someone to repair it? thank you

Reactions: unit_399
Interesting.. I hope you're wrong. I've heard nothing but very good things.
I did take a look at his website after seeing this, and it hasen't changed.
Screenshot_20230915-172718_Samsung Internet.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.