• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950DX tuning question.

MC133

Sep 1, 2017
Hi I need some help please, I just got a mint 2950DX black screen green digits, board number EPT695015BR.
When I was looking inside the radio I was checking out VR17 AM modulation and I noticed it was pointing in the direction of 9’o clock (Center would be 12’o clock). When I watched several tech videos with the same radio and board on YouTube I noticed that the VR17 AM MOD was pointed to the 4’o clock position on several videos. Now this would normally be easy to figure out if the radio was hooked up to a power source and antenna. But for the time being I don’t have any. I just wanted to know which is the correct direction to increase the modulation so I can just set it and don’t have open up the radio again on a much later date in the future.
Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Yeah I just wanted to increase it a little but not max it out, but I don’t know the correct direction to turn it.

Before I got an oscilloscope, I would set the limiters by listening to the tx audio while talking normally into the microphone. The best way to listen to your tx audio is with another radio that has no antenna with headphones. This is a great way to set the mic level too. I have an Anytone 5555 that I use as a station monitor, permanently mounted under the front edge of my desk. I do a quick check every time I power up to make sure that nothing changed. When ever I get a new radio, I check all my microphones to see which one sounds the best.

Chris

Clockwise.
Thank you, ok so if the 8’o clock is minimum and it’s already on the 9’o clock position doesn’t that seem a bit on the low side even for stock. I remember around 30 years ago I had a 1st gen 2950 and Superstar 3900 and when I went to increase the AM mod the pot was already at the 2 or 3’o clock position.

Before I got an oscilloscope, I would set the limiters by listening to the tx audio while talking normally into the microphone. The best way to listen to your tx audio is with another radio that has no antenna with headphones. This is a great way to set the mic level too. I have an Anytone 5555 that I use as a station monitor, permanently mounted under the front edge of my desk. I do a quick check every time I power up to make sure that nothing changed. When ever I get a new radio, I check all my microphones to see which one sounds the best.

Chris
You are absolutely correct but I have no way to hook it up right now do to a lack of equipment.

Last edited:
Thank you, ok so if the 8’o clock is minimum and it’s already on the 9’o clock position doesn’t that seem a bit on the low side even for stock. I remember around 30 years ago I had a 1st gen 2950 and Superstar 3900 and when I went to increase the AM mod the pot was already at the 2 or 3’o clock position.
Don't get hung up on the location or setting of the VR pot. They are not all set to be the same and function exact from the factory. Ranger pumps these things out and the ten year olds ballpark them in on the assembly line best they can. Just kidding but what I mean is the perfect or sweet spot will vary some from radio to radio. Even though the youtube radio has his set at 2:00 yours might be at 100% at 12:00. The next guys radio might like 3:00.

Ok thanks a lot for your input on that good to know.
By the way what kind of 9C1 do you have.

Good years L05 & LT1. Well at least you owned 2 of them. I never owned a real one I wish, only 1/18 die-cast models. I have '89 Caprice, '95 Caprice and a'78 Fury. All NYPD.
Did you favor one of them? Which one?

Attachments

• NYPD Car.jpg
    NYPD Car.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4

Chris
I liked your idea so I got my hands on a nice KW R600 to set up as a station monitor.......won't this blow the front end out of the KW when I key up?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.