• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970 DX No heat sink on the bottom?

IRock817

Oct 29, 2011
After recently buying a used 2970 DX and doing some research, I've discovered that maybe I've been had! All of the pics that I've found that show the bottom of the 2970 DX model, show it too have a rather large heat sink on the bottom! The one I payed good money for has a small heat sink on the rear of it!
Can anyone tell me something besides I have been ripped off with a 2950 DX in a 2970 DX case?
I haven't hooked it up yet to see what it's doing.
I'm hoping someone will tell me that I have an older one or something that tells me that this is in fact a 2970 DX, but just has a different heat sink configuration!!!!

After recently buying a used 2970 DX and doing some research, I've discovered that maybe I've been had! All of the pics that I've found that show the bottom of the 2970 DX model, show it too have a rather large heat sink on the bottom! The one I payed good money for has a small heat sink on the rear of it!
Can anyone tell me something besides I have been ripped off with a 2950 DX in a 2970 DX case?
I'm hoping someone will tell me that I have an older one or something that tells me that this is in fact a 2970 DX, but just has a different heat sink configuration!!!!

Nice clear pictures of the front panel, bottom and the rear of your radio wold be helpful. I'm pretty sure there were models that had a small heatsink. The heatsink attaches to the chassis on the rear so it makes no sense that some would do what you suggested above.

Last edited:

You should have done some searches. Heat sink on the back...not on a 2970. It was crazy to spend money on something that you didn't even hook up to verify it's even working.

I've had a few 2970's and a DX model and they both had some kind of heat sink on the bottom. Matter of fact have a new N2 version on the way, heard that one has a fan inside along with the heat sink

rci 1 11-26-2011.JPG

rci 11-26=2011.JPG

RF Pwr down = 5 watts Dead key
RF Pwr Up = 9 watts Dead key
RF Pwr down = 15 watts swing
RF Pwr Up = 30 watts swing

After putting it on the meter I have determined that this is a 2950 with a 2970 face plate!:cry:

What do you think?

The power plug is wrong too, you got ripped, I'm 99% sure you got either a 2950 or a 2950DX, take off the bottom cover and see if it has surface mount or regular transistors

rci 4.JPG

It sure looks like the finals have been changed! It has one C2166 and two C2312's back there and it sure doesn't look factory.

I'm not feeling too bad about the deal. I gave 125.00 for the radio and it does work well. It's just not what I was wanting.
I still don't know about the heat sink though. I don't remember seeing one like that on a Ranger. Plus if someone set this up to deceive with the face plate they gave the whole thing away by not putting the bottom heat sink on it. Well I guess I shouldn't say that though! I feel for it.. Oh well, if anyone has some more explanation on this thing feel free to put my mind to rest, please..:confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.