• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2980 WX transmit POP noise.

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
My 2980 WX makes a pop noise whenever i key it up. It does it with the stock mic as well as the desk mics i use.. Is there a fix for this???

hmm yeah you have me beet on that one... I only get it with my power mic but it sounds the same I hope some one can chime in on this one ....

will it help if you turn the mic gain down?

Well i guess nobody has any idea how to fix this problem.. Might have to call Ranger.

Hi. I have one of the old models before they put the WX on them. It does this on key up and un key. I also have a 2995DX NEW radio that does the same thing. It doesn't matter what mic I am running and if I am running an amp or bare radio. Did you ever find out anything on this?? It is a minor nuisance too me. It is load popping when I key up and un key as well. I think it is a common thing with the Ranger "Big Radios"... may not be anything to do for it.

check

and see if the limiter is intact. they pop like that
when the mod limiter is removed.

It almost sounds like audio feedback. I heard the pitch change on both mics. If you stretch the mic cord on the hand mic out a couple of feet from the rig does it still squeal? Turn the mic gain to zero as well. It's a front firing speaker and the desk mic looks like its almost right up against it.

I have the "pop" in the speaker on a stock rci 2950dx when I key or unkey the mic also.

Sure is annoying. I can't remember if it did that from "day one", or if the pop came later and I just didn't notice it right away.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.