• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI2985 no power on

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Any one know What would cause this radio to not turn on when switching it on?

One day it worked the next not, I hear the power supply humming very slightly like it always did so I think the power supply works. No lights, sounds nothing. total dead.

Is there a way to test it or like what should I look for?

Any help out there?

Thanks,
airplane

It seems like I remember reading about early versions having bad power supplies. Just because it is humming does not mean it is putting our proper current. Thats where I would start trouble shooting.
Good luck

Well I called ramger and I am out of warrenty. I bought the radio on 2/21/06 so it died just 3 months after warrenty.

they emailed me a list of shops that will do out of warrenty work

Looks like your on the list 8541. If I check the power supply with a volt meter and it is not putting out can I get a transformer from you? how much do they cost and did they upgrade the transformers so they dont have the problem anymore?

Thanks

Use a voltmeter at the output points of the power supply to determine if voltage is coming out - you can see if it has DC 13.8 output, then you can check the output at the on/off volume knob - and then turn the on/off knob on and check voltage on the output from the knob to the board chassis.

we are not a parts dealer. the parts dealers are on rangers website, and may be on the list they emailed you.

as for the transformer, we have never had one go bad. what i was saying is just because you hear the transformer, that alone does not mean the power supply is working. the transformer can work while the rest of the power supplie does not.

it is really best to unplug these radios when not in use. for some reason, rci does not break the ac line as well as the dc line when the radio is turned off. so the power suppy is always running and vulnerable to any type of surges. at least this is what the schem shows. i know some of the rci/gal bases do break the ac line as well as the dc line. if this is a case where the ac line does pass thru the switch, you may get a nasty suprise in there fooling around the power switch.

anyway, the main culprit in these is the passive regulator. the round transitor on the back of the radio mounted to a heat sink. about the size of a quarter. you may have to remove a metal shield and a plastic cover. there are other less common parts in these that sometime fail, but this is the main component.

i do not recommend for anyone unfamiliar with electronics to work on these radios, even the power supply. it is our experience that it ends up taking us more time and the customer more money than if they just left it alone to begin with.

you could very well have a bad power switch as cbmag has suggested, but that is pretty rare as well.

Well I will get in touch with you on the cost to check it out and then a cost to fix or how ever you do this. I can ship it to you but I will email you first to get all the details.

Thanks for your time.

Well I could drive to your shop on a sat. DTB if you would want to just check it out before I sending out this heavy radio (expensive shipping) and then I will at least know what I can expect.

Could you just check it out even though you dont work on suface mount radios???

Thanks

Well, Just Want to tell every one that Dave DTB fixed The RCI 2985DX and it is working great.

Thanks Dave, You are the Man!

This is twice now that I had him work on my radios and he did me good.

Well what was the problem the pass transistor? Dave if it had been the bridge rectifier wouldnt it had blown fuse after fuse? I ask because having no lights and all that was a possibility. I notice the inrush current on my Exports compared to my HF rigs is completely different when powering on my HF or ham gear they take a second and power on slowly which these exports just pop right on like a majority of the power supplies which really clunk when turning them on thats where these rectifiers zap and blow the fuse. Ive ordered extras of these 50 Amp rectifiers after hearing and seeing this over and over LOL.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.