• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Really small TNC for HF Pactor / Amtor?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I've been looking for a really small TNC that can also do Pactor / Amtor for mobile use. All of the small ones I've found so far can do packet, at best. Does anyone know of anything I haven't run across yet?

For those modes, I'm guessing you'll have a laptop with you.

Have you considered soundcard modem for that? Just use something like a Buxcomm Rascal or a Signalink as the interface and run cables in/out of the soundcard on the laptop.

SR385 said:
For those modes, I'm guessing you'll have a laptop with you.

Have you considered soundcard modem for that? Just use something like a Buxcomm Rascal or a Signalink as the interface and run cables in/out of the soundcard on the laptop.

The software to use, just one example would be something like this (MixW).

http://www.mixw.net/

Already use mixw for most digital modes. It's really difficult, if not impractical to do pactor / amtor ARQ modes without a TNC. I need to use those specific modes.

Already use mixw for most digital modes. It's really difficult, if not impractical to do pactor / amtor ARQ modes without a TNC. I need to use those specific modes.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can do full Pactor or AMTOR without a TNC. The TX/RX timing is way too critical to have your Windoze PC tending to other chores and trying to key-up on time.

You're going to have to run a TNC. Now, with that said...for Pactor, there's only about 3 or 4 to choose from. SCS for Pactor 2 or 3. For just Pactor 1, you can use an MFJ (no longer made) or a KAM unit.

I've been using a 1278 for years and years and years...seems to do OK. DO NOT go AFSK on this one...go ahead and run the FSK keyline and use the FSK terminal on your radio. You'll be much happier.

PACTOR and AMTOR keyboard-to-keyboard is a blast. I just wish there was more activity....

I actually have an AEA DSP-2232, that use for Pactor 1. It's just a little big to keep in the mobile permanently. I would love for someone to come up with a TNC that is really small that I could leave there. SCS units are fairly small, but boy are they $$$$

There is actually a way you can do Packet without a TNC, but I don't think it's possible at all to send Pactor without one.

No. The rigblaster is an interface between your rig and your PC that basically takes the sound card "sounds" and passes it into the mic or digital input of your rig. You may or may not need something like that depending on your rig and how creative you are at building your own. You also need some software for the digital modes you can use with a rigblaster. Perhaps I'll start a thread discussing some of the digital modes and what you need and can do with them. Anyway, Pactor & Amtor require handshaking that works kind've like an old fashioned computer modem. There isn't a way to really do this with just a software solution.

Mole',
I've been meaning to ask. You do know that if you're using a laptop for that amtor/packet, mobile, that you can find software 'TNC' programs that use the sound card as the interface, right? No idea if they would satisfy all of your requirements, but it should at least make it possible.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.