• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend a Wattmeter

Rok55

May 19, 2017
Since things are starting to come together here I'm looking to the future just a bit and figured a decent wattmeter inline behind my Emergency Use Only was probably a good idea.

Setup is a Uniden 980SSB through a Palomar 200X to a Maco V58 at 25'. I have an 2 position switch on hand should I elect to put up a 2nd antenna (dipole or beam) or add another band (2,10,12)

Been looking at various meters and just not sure what to get. My budget is pretty tight and as a newbie don't figure I need top shelf gear but prefer to buy Once. Dosy, Workman, Welz, MFJ, PDC, vintage Palomar to match my amp ...............

Please advise ...........

Perhaps one of you fine folks has something for sale....

Last edited:

3804-1448937789-a8c2eee64299883c2551169aaeb31c7d.jpg

Reactions: Rok55
MFJ-868B_F_5265.jpg I have been looking for a good meter myself I have been leaning towards a MFJ 868B for my house. It's a giant meter, most reviews are positive. Thoughts??

Last edited:
Since things are starting to come together here I'm looking to the future just a bit and figured a decent wattmeter inline behind my Emergency Use Only was probably a good idea.

Setup is a Uniden 980SSB through a Palomar 200X to a Maco V58 at 25'. I have an 2 position switch on hand should I elect to put up a 2nd antenna (dipole or beam) or add another band (2,10,12)

Been looking at various meters and just not sure what to get. My budget is pretty tight and as a newbie don't figure I need top shelf gear but prefer to buy Once. Dosy, Workman, Welz, MFJ, PDC, vintage Palomar to match my amp ...............

Please advise ...........

Perhaps one of you fine folks has something for sale....

Understand that the terms, "pretty tight budget" and "I need top shelf gear" most definitely do not go together. That said there are several decent watt meters out there for a good price. Here are 2 quick pics.

http://customcbradios.com/Workman-HP-201S-1KW-Meter-This-Meter-Works-Great-P669465.aspx

http://customcbradios.com/-Workman-HP-202-1KW-Meter-This-Meter-Works-Great-P2621166.aspx

Understand that the terms, "pretty tight budget" and "I need top shelf gear" most definitely do not go together.

My budget is pretty tight and as a newbie don't figure I need top shelf gear

Thanks for the links, Workman units were certainly on the short list.

Any comments on the Dosy line?

I've seen mixed reviews on MFJ in that they needed to be checked for accuracy and calibrated, I would have no way to do that. Also the light bulb issue ........... Did they correct these issues with the newest iteration?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, Workman units were certainly on the short list.

Any comments on the Dosy line?

I've seen mixed reviews on MFJ in that they needed to be checked for accuracy and calibrated, I would have no way to do that. Also the light bulb issue ........... Did they correct these issues with the newest iteration?
They can't hold a candle to the Daiwa units. They are more accurate and are true "Peak Reading" meters. A simple quick glance at the meter while tuning an antenna will tell you if you are going in the right direction. Plus you don't to fiddle with knobs while checking SWR over a very large range of frequencies and it is a more professional looking package.

Did you have to recalibrate or is that old news?
Cross needles meters like the Daiwas are self calibrating. Once you get used to the cross needle types, you might never go back to single meters again.

These may be out of your intended budget but spend the money once and get one that's good as they come.

Doseys and most other CB meters aren't true peak reading meters. Peak reading meters requires an active 12v circuit. That's the first clue. The CB meters only have 12v for the meter lamp.

Reactions: Rok55 and Tallman
Cross needles meters like the Daiwas are self calibrating. Once you get used to the cross needle types, you might never go back to single meters again.

These may be out of your intended budget but spend the money once and get one that's good as they come.

I have always said Buy once - Cry once
I have seen a couple on Ebay in the $50 - $60 range plus shipping. That I can do.

Been over at Eham reading reviews and the Ameritron AWM-30 had many positive comments.

What says the braintrust ......

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.