• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Repeater building question.

cheewooi

Jul 30, 2009
Hi all,
I have 2 unit of FT2900 75W mobile rig. Thinking of building a VHF repeater for my own usage. What are the other things I need beside two mobile transceiver, two antenna and two power supply unit?

Appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks

Well you will need a controller. That interfaces the two rigs to make the repeater. You can build one yourself or purchase one ready to go. Many models to choose from.

The best thing to do is Google "build a 2 meter repeater".
Then you may find more of what you are looking for.

You only need one power supply to handle both rigs and the controller if it is big enough. You also have to think about tower space. Since you said two antennas you will need to separate them quite some distance to prevent de-sence. 50 to 75 feet on vertical. 3 times as much on horizontal.

If you can get or build a duplexer it makes things work much better.
I have ran many repeaters, (ham and business band, homebrew and commercial) for many years. It just takes $$$ to get them right.

The first thing you need to do is see if there is a unused frequency pair available in your area. Then you have to apply for cordination.
Rich

Also if you're going to use mobile rx/tx's you should reduce the power out-put of the tx radio because it's tx duty cycles where not rated for repeater use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.