• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

resistance soldering

If you have the resistive equipment, give it a try I suppose.

But everywhere on the internet, everybody is using propane torch or butane to do these big soldering jobs.

I use a 100 watt American Beauty with a 3/8ths chisel point.
Well it used to be 3/8ths which I filed down to fit in the center section of a pl-259 specifically.

That'll do very nicely. The older American Beauty irons are showing up at garage sales around here in pristine condition. I got a couple for $3 each. Just have to do the little mod to the tip...

If the iron has enough mass in the tip, it doesn't matter. The SOLDER, though, is what should go in the hole. One at a time, ideally, with a little cooling off in between so as not to overheat things.

Doesn't really matter as long as there's enough heat to flow it. I use what's available - 0.050 or a bit either way. There really IS no "best" size. Use what you're comfortable with.

And do yourself a favor: don't even try using the "lead-free" stuff.

resistance soldering

Its been a while. i have learned to solder
the pl259 the proper way. using the luma
551 900 watt unit. i have pics if anybody
wants to see them. thanks tony n4rck 73

Pic's and Video provided by Hardrock

here are the pics. the rg8x72 pic was shot by virgil @ american beauty soldering tools
i have been working with him for a couple of years. its a video clip this would give
everyone a look at the process. this is being done by the 250 watt american beauty
@ max out put using the single carbon probe filed to fit over the hole. i use the luma
which puts out 900 watt max. the other 2 pics are my work. you dont have to load
those. virgils video will show everybody the process.

IM000634.jpg

Single1.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.