• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Limited CR-577 Mic Review

what mic was the guy at 1:17 using ? he sounded pretty clean ........even with the radios volume too high .

Yeah, the TopGun Modulator was on while on AM.
Also, the TopGun Compressor was on while on SSB.
Radio screams on AM.
SSB is my main mode - works fantastic,
Regardless of what certain people on this forum think, it just blows away most of the radios I talk to while DXing.
You and I know this...
yes i agree with ya.i know on mine with just the stock mic usaually the mic gain
on the radio itself is only on # 7 max .but i turned the internal gain
on mic wide open.but usually between 5-7 on radio thats it.the rf limitited
sounded good i liked it.BUT it was starting to flattop on ssb.turning
down the mic gain on radio would have made that mic sound super clean
all in all robb great review thank -you just couple things id done different
thats all

after listening to CB's for over 20 years, i'd like to think i know what an overmodulated radio sounds like.
that was not the sound of a speaker breaking up, as if the volume was too loud on the receiving set.

that was the typical overmodulated swing box radio sound that we all hear in our local scenes.

some people just care about being loud, and others want to have a natural sounding voice.
LC

The problem with the entire setup is the swing ratio, imho way out of proportion so if you were to back the (RADIO'S) mic gain down to 70% or less you'll find you will have a mellower tone from that mic which appears to have very good range.

Try one without the top guns on you'll be pleasantly surprised, I know I was on the S-3 model years back.

Talked with the main designer of this microphone today. And yes it is designed around the 575M6 , although my source asked to me anonomous , he surely knows his stuff.

Time and trials from others will have to do in the mean time. Depending on how the radio is tuned and that a person has an idea of what over modulated truly is, will depend on just about how any microphone is going to sound.

I liked the 575M6 and ran one for over 10 years. Times changed with me as well as different tunes and I've been running RK-56s for the last 6 years or so.I look forward to picking up one of these new mic's in the near future. I hope it works out and performs as well as the 575M6 did. (and from what I understand , it should)

These new mic's should run around 50 to 60 dollars (sounds about right) I think it is totally rediculous what a used 575M6 will fetch these days , just not worth it to me . So bring these new mic's on !! Hear tell it's even better designed then the original 575M6's. .........We shall see and hear them soon enough.

it would be a great boon to the forum if someone would put some audio files online of how this mic sounds through a mic tester or some simple homebrew audio amp, and compared it to some other popular mics. hearing how it sounds on a splatterbox radio really doesnt give the listener a chance to hear how it might sound on their rig. well, unless they run a splatterbox radio too.
LC

Talked with the main designer of this microphone today. And yes it is designed around the 575M6 , although my source asked to me anonomous , he surely knows his stuff.

Time and trials from others will have to do in the mean time. Depending on how the radio is tuned and that a person has an idea of what over modulated truly is, will depend on just about how any microphone is going to sound.

I liked the 575M6 and ran one for over 10 years. Times changed with me as well as different tunes and I've been running RK-56s for the last 6 years or so.I look forward to picking up one of these new mic's in the near future. I hope it works out and performs as well as the 575M6 did. (and from what I understand , it should)

These new mic's should run around 50 to 60 dollars (sounds about right) I think it is totally rediculous what a used 575M6 will fetch these days , just not worth it to me . So bring these new mic's on !! Hear tell it's even better designed then the original 575M6's. .........We shall see and hear them soon enough.

horse shit

Last edited:
well LC , I suppose we can only do so much , IM sure we will just have to hear one or get one when they are available. But as I said , anything to replace the 575M6 and the cost they get from those used , would be a pleasure to me.

And if they truly turn out to be as good as was said to me , maybe the used 575's won't gather so much money anymore ? I never really had a problem with RF Limited Magnum , but like the man who also had his hands in the design of the S9's , he's usually right on when it comes to what he has to say.

it would be a great boon to the forum if someone would put some audio files online of how this mic sounds through a mic tester or some simple homebrew audio amp, and compared it to some other popular mics. hearing how it sounds on a splatterbox radio really doesnt give the listener a chance to hear how it might sound on their rig. well, unless they run a splatterbox radio too.
LC
Maybe Mr. Anonymous will do a test for us one day like I did with the bob85 bias scheme and then people might believe it.

I'm sure switchkit still has me on ignore so maybe you can post up this response of mine so he'll be able to follow how it really works.

YouTube - 43mack's Channel

Maybe Mr. Anonymous will do a test for us one day like I did with the bob85 bias scheme and then people might believe it.

I'm sure switchkit still has me on ignore so maybe you can post up this response of mine so he'll be able to follow how it really works.

YouTube - 43mack's Channel

Oh and by the way the microphone used in this demonstration was a modified D104m6b which in essence makes it a 575mb now that combined with a non-audio modified RCI-2950dx with the mic gain set at a decent level makes for a very clear transmission.

Amazing how that works.

antennapics021.jpg

Oh and by the way the microphone used in this demonstration was a modified D104m6b which in essence makes it a 575mb now that combined with a non-audio modified RCI-2950dx with the mic gain set at a decent level makes for a very clear transmission.

Amazing how that works.

antennapics021.jpg

mack,

that demonstration says it all when it comes to class C or AB1 on SSB.
very nicely done!

BTW, i also did the bob85 "bass control" mod to my M6B and i LOVE IT!!!
turns an M6B into a 575 in essence.

although i dont use power mics much anymore, it is still my favorite.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.