• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Limited News . . .

Thats exellent news on the Magnum up-dates. Everyone can thank Magnum for entering the market with some strong stuff here in the last 10 years. Without them pushing Galaxy and Connex we would all still be talking on 88's and 3300's.
something wrong with the old DX series galaxies and connex 3300hp's?? some of the best radios ever made if you ask me. THEY TALKED, and talked well. none of the BS that alot of the new radios have. they just performed, which is what a good radio should do.

something wrong with the old DX series galaxies and connex 3300hp's?? some of the best radios ever made if you ask me. THEY TALKED, and talked well. none of the BS that alot of the new radios have. they just performed, which is what a good radio should do.

I agree. I had several 3300hp's ( mic out the side ) Then they changed the echo board and now the finals. I also have an older style mint Galaxy 99v that does a good job barefoot.

Just got off the phone with Sam Lewis a minute ago . . .

Sam is having a little difficulty getting the handheld ready to ship to me at this time. He said that it is presently set up for European standards and must be converted over before I can give it some trial runs and evaluate.

We did talk about the new line of mobile radios though - some pretty interesting stuff! The new mobile radios will have a USB port on it using Windows 7. That's right - USB! This will make it programmable like any Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, or other rig. It will also have a continuous/variable VFO on it. I won't see or try any of these for a little while, Sam will have to do that in the next few months when he can get one to me to try. Sam was a little hesitant about giving any other info than that at this time.

I hope to have more when Sam puts together some more info for me.
The WWRF members will be the VERY FIRST to know when he is ready . . .

Stay tuned - and be a little patient . . .

Ide like one of those handheld radios. If they hold up and are better than the chrokee ah-100 and those spitfire radios Ide buy one forsure I wonder how big those damn things are going to be??

Sounds like the 257 clone that is already being sold overseas. I have seen it for sale in austraila. It has the features you mentioned. I read a favorable review about the rig and its USB programability. I believe it has no external mic gain, it has an interal pot for that. I think it was called a Huracane or something.

I seen that to it was listed with another radio that someonme posted we thought was the new stryker which we were wrong and this radio also programmed through USB.

new radios

Sounds like the 257 clone that is already being sold overseas. I have seen it for sale in austraila. It has the features you mentioned. I read a favorable review about the rig and its USB programability. I believe it has no external mic gain, it has an interal pot for that. I think it was called a Huracane or something.

Let me clear this up.
The radio being sold overseas that resembles a 257 is the OPTIMA. It has a white screen and covers from 24.5 to 29.995 in one continuous band. It has a mic gain and a power control.
Power is about 50w. Default frequency step is 5khz. It can scan just the memories. Shift +/- 1mhz. 5 memories. The memories do not disappear if you unplug the radio for a year.

The programmable radio is something else again. It does not have an external mic gain. It has a lot of other stuff though..It is new out this year. Normal CB with SMD technology. I am sure President had a hand in the design but made by a Chinese company and they are marketing it themselves. It is being released under many names now. It is different...
I don't know who has the rights to sell it in the US.

The Huracan is also something totally different. It also has a mic gain. Made by the same people that make the Optima. It is another multimode 50w export radio covering 25-30mhz with 5khz steps and a frequency counter. It has a channel guard built in. It works pretty good. I have one in front of me as I type!

cheers,
Dave

257 HP

I have to say after having this Magnum 257HP for a few days it really works a lot better than I thought it was going to. The recieve is as good as my 2950Dx and 6900F, everybody says the audio is really good. I have done nothing to it at all it still has the seal on the sode of the cabinet. I bought it from Sparky's and like he advertised it must have been aligned and tuned because it works perfect. Sparky made a customer out of me that will return they did a Great job and I love the radio

i've spoken to sam a few times over the years & always asked why he couldn't get the magnums into 12m like the ar3500's, or the PLL exports......never got anything more then a BS answer. SO i HOPE this is true. i really have no use or need for one, but an HP omega covering 10-12 is an intriguing thought.....just to 'have'. same for a 257.
if they'd only reproduce the 3500 with a few upgrades......

12m magnums

i've spoken to sam a few times over the years & always asked why he couldn't get the magnums into 12m like the ar3500's, or the PLL exports......never got anything more then a BS answer. SO i HOPE this is true. i really have no use or need for one, but an HP omega covering 10-12 is an intriguing thought.....just to 'have'. same for a 257.
if they'd only reproduce the 3500 with a few upgrades......

I think it will just be a matter of time. It does cost a bit to re-engineer for 12m but I am sure it will happen. They will have to keep up with the new radios coming out that do cover 12m and step in something other than 10khz for SSB.
I am sure magnum will not be left behind! The new handheld they are bringing out has all these things.....

magnum 257 fm

Do those Magnum 257 radios, have the offset for 10 mtr repeaters or just fm modulation only and no offset.

DOCTOR/795

There is nothing wrong with them if you want to drift like a sailboat on SSB. My point is newer Magnums hands down beat the Galaxy 33,44,66,77,88 & 99. If Magnum never hit the market I doubt Galaxy would have done much up-dating. Thats why we have the Galaxy 94,95T2, and 98 VHP radio's today.

i see the cherokee ah-100 handitalks are back in production, my thoughs are the magnums are once again the same. they were anounced in the spring, my guess is magnum uses a copy. -+

$229 preorder
Cherokee_AH-100.jpg

cbs 1000 is back, wonder of they mod the same as before.

cm 10 is back as well but no price listed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.