• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf probe and AF voltmeter?

Tuning/aligning receive in radios is not only the most expensive part of radio work - equipment-wise, it is also the most time consuming and difficult. A high-end RF signal generator is essential and unavoidable to the process. If the radio doesn't need to have the receiver tuned up, so much the better. The voltmeter isn't nearly as essential as a SINAD meter - which accomplishes the same thing as well as making sure that the signal isn't distorted from over-peaking - which is something that the voltmeter cannot detect.

I use that SINAD program and a Hp signal generator - which I was fortunate to find for $250.

Last edited:
Tuning/aligning receive in radios is not only the most expensive - equipment-wise - part of radio work, it is also the most time consuming and difficult. A high-end RF signal generator is essential and unavoidable to the process. If the radio doesn't need to have the receiver tuned up, so much the better. The voltmeter isn't nearly as essential as a SINAD meter - which accomplishes the same thing as well as making sure that the signal isn't distorted from over-peaking - which is something that the voltmeter cannot detect.

I use that SINAD program and a Hp signal generator - which I was fortunate to find for $250.
Tuning/aligning receive in radios is not only the most expensive - equipment-wise - part of radio work, it is also the most time consuming and difficult. A high-end RF signal generator is essential and unavoidable to the process. If the radio doesn't need to have the receiver tuned up, so much the better. The voltmeter isn't nearly as essential as a SINAD meter - which accomplishes the same thing as well as making sure that the signal isn't distorted from over-peaking - which is something that the voltmeter cannot detect.

Yeah bought a hp 8640. I'm just trying to figure everything out. Different radios call for different test equitment so I'm just trying to put all the pieces together and see what I need and what i don't really need. It's a little confusing, so I appreciate everybody's input. Thanks

Keep looking around on eBay and set it up to where you get notifications as well. This does help as sometimes late at night or early morning there are items that do go without notice. Also check CL constantly. I use the ALL FOR SALE, part of CL and it pulls up everything related to your search query. Just keep at it 805. You can find these items with the right timing. God luck aka keep your eyes peeled!!
73 and God Bless.
Sean.

Also it pays to check out garage sales as well. Seen a local here pick up a bunch of stuff by just garage sale browsing. Just some food for thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned