• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF Squelch vs Non RF Squelch?

radiation8

Apr 28, 2016
So I recently found a Colt 355 CB radio at a goodwill for $10, I was able get about 6watts out of it, I replaced all the Capacitors since the MFG date was 1985, 31yr old Caps, why not replace, right? I used all Nichicon and Panasonic Caps.

Anywho I've never had any experience with these smaller radios, the size of a small paper back book. On larger radios, when you open the squelch you hear....well static or RF noise, which is normal in my book.

This radio seems to have a "smart" squelch of sorts where even with it wide open, I don't really hear much in the terms of static, but it still seems to pull in the weak signals, or at least I pick up what my scanner does. I have to test more when I get home but I was curious if anyone has a radio similar to this? From Google and the forums all I seem to gather is that is has to do with how the board is made and how the squelch is RF dependent?

Any thoughts? First time Poster here as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.