• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"RFinder" Android repeater app

FatHam

Staff member
Apr 15, 2011
So Cal
I was having a hard time loading the "QSL" app mentioned in an earlier thread here, but saw a link for "RFinder" while trying and bought it.

Pretty cool. It works with the phone's GPS to find repeaters in a given radius, or you can manually enter a city, or longitude/latitude anywhere in the world.

rfinderscreen.jpg

The list shows the closest repeaters by default, but can quickly be sorted by frequency or call sign.

rfinderscreen2.jpg

There are options to edit repeater information, add repeaters, etc... It will even export the list via email to load into your programming software.

Still have a lot of playing around to discover what all it will do, but so far it seems well worth the $4.99.

Here's a link with more info --> RFinder Worldwide Repeater Dir for Android | AppBrain.com

It's ok for what it is. Don't be surprised by frequent inaccurate info. You'll notice alot of "ghost" repeaters that don't exist. These are repeater frequencies that are assigned, but have not been placed in service. Individuals and clubs do this so no other entities can petition for a repeater in their area. Kind of like reserving future space.

When the app first came out, their was several updates and promised future enhancements that have not materialized. I think the developers thought it was going to be more popular than it is and are now slow to update the program.

You can get the same info for free, but like I said, it's ok for what it is.

You can get the same info for free, but like I said, it's ok for what it is.

Really? I've been able to access free info on the internet, but being able to hit a button on the phone while I'm the road and have the info in a few seconds was worth the $5 to me. It beats diddling around trying to get the info via the internet on a smart phone, or flipping through the repeater directories in my truck when I'm on the fly.

If there are other "free" apps that work off of the phone's GPS like this one does, I'd like to try them. I don't always know what zip code or town is near by, so the GPS look-up is a slam dunk for me.

Yes, u can hit a button and retrieve your info, but as I said, be prepared for inaccurate info. I performed a GPS search from my location to include all repeaters within a 30 mile radius. It showed four 10 meter repeaters and five 6 meter repeaters. They were all ghosts. In addition, 3 repeaters listed did not have PL info listed. Pocket references have the same accuracy problem.

Again, its ok for what it is.

If you travel and regard accuracy a top priority then you'd be better served doing a little old fashioned research.

I think the FCC should only grant licenses for repeaters that are actually installed and operable.

Wow, Rfinder is great thanks for posting this! Sure, lots of non-existant stations listed, but this makes it easy to skip the bad ones and find the good ones. Lots of info presented about each as well.

Rfinder compatibility

I would love to have the Rfinder App, but it wont install on my Lenovo K1 Tablet. The K1 is a new Android 3.2 tablet. I get error message stating that app is not compatible. What could be wrong?
Herman, VA3QX

Found this app about a month ago and have used it serveral times to check for repeaters in numerous areas. In my "home" area I have not found any repeater info that has been inaccurate or ghost repeaters. But your mileage may vary. I have noticed that it does take a long time to download the repeater list initially.

Also I believe this app was designed specifically for phones so if you want a tablet version you may need to contact the dev. and request one for the tablet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.