• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rfx 75 in cobra 29 ltd

HAPPY WATTS??

OK this discussion on peak watts and RMS watts is getting old. Peak watts or PEP watts are what they are. RMS watts are what they are. Dont get them mixed up. Just like peak and RMS voltage readings they are what they are in there on catagory. So that being said when you read specs pay attention to what they are advertising Peak watts or RMS watts. That is all i ask folks. One is completely different than the other. SO DONT COMPARE THEM. I realize the average joe does not understand the difference. That is where you have to explane that there is a difference to those people. Just like rms and peak voltage they are real numbers just different readings. That is why I always list both reading in anything i sell so that RMS and PEP worshippers alike can tell the difference. Besides RMS wattage is more of an average of the power output. That being said I agrea somewhat that a higher avg wattage would be the stronger transmitter. this can have alot more to do with the audio section of the radio and the person talking as well. that is a whole other subject. So can we stop stomping on all the people the advertise peak watts and avg watts alike. This is childish isnt it. Both are real numbers. I dont know for sure that i would say anything about one guy adusting his bird 43 to read whatever he wanted it too because you can do that on any meter bird or dosy ect.

:love:

Speedracrr6g I wasn't meaning that only Bird meters were being messed with and not Dosy. We all know how accurate the Bird is and as long as no one has tinkered with it then it will give very valid numbers. But there are others who do mess with there meters whether they be a Bird, Dosy, Astatic and the such that let customers see the numbers to make them happy with there purchase of tuning, aftermarket toys or amplifiers and modifications to the radio. That being said I think the Dosy on the RMS setting gives a very valid number to go by; the swing in the meter on PEP is most likely from the factory a little loose and swings high. I have also had a vintage Wawassee that I used to compare my Dosy to and they were extremely close in RMS readings(RMS is all the Wawassee would read) and so I just used the Dosy because of the ease of use. The Wawassee I had was pretty darn accurate and I would say is very comparable to the Bird readings I have seen from others. All the numbers being thrown around and there are some many variables to each and everyones set-up for testing,coax, meter, dummy load or live load, 13.8v or 15.5v and then the individual actually tuning the radio. So unless they set an absolute standard on how all these variables are set then we will all have different numbers to a very small or even a very large degree. Well that is my thoughts on that.

I'm working on a Cobra 29 too, and have a couple of 3300pf 16v caps. If the one you put in didn't pop, it probably won't. But I'd still put the right voltage in it - though. Oversaturating this cap with too much voltage may cause audio distortion - but I'm no tech. This mod is for the audio IC and changes the output response of your audio on TX - or so I have read here. The other mods to this circuit include a 33k resistor and two .2 monolithic caps.
Here is the original thread:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/radio-ra...bra-29-high-power-mod-2sc1969-transistor.html
I haven't found the location of C68; anyone know where to look?

What kind of numbers is the radio putting out with the RFX75? I've heard varieties of reports. Some as low as 60 watts, and some as high as 120. The question remains: what other mods are people doing to the 29's to get these bigger numbers?
That is a thread that needs to be started and explained...

YouTube - RFX-75 Install in a Cobra 29 Black Chrome

Its so funny to watch people get so silly over the difference between RMS and peak.

RMS is usually about half you peak, or some where in or around there. Or at least it should be. If you have a tone of peak watts, and low RMS, then there is something wrong.

Now, as for Peak not doing or meaning nothing, and saying that RMS is everything. Well, RMS is king, yes BUT.

What if you have a radio that does 7 watts RMS and 20 watts pep, and another radio of similar build that's doing 7 watts RMS as well but doing 25 pep. I am talking true pep, off a bird with a peak kit.

Which radio will be louder? Which will kick the amp harder? Keying side by side, which will be herd?

I'd put my money on the one that had 5 more peak watts, even tho that is a minuscule number. Don't go to literal into that explanation, I am just trying to make the point that PEP does mean something.

It still tells you something. It does give you a reference point. Its more information that is useful in some way. Personally I want to know what a radio or amp is doing RMS and PEP.

As for the RFX75? on 7-8 watts RMS on a cobra 29, around 20 watts PEP I can get out quite far as it is. I can talk as far as 50 miles easy location dependent. So if your going to tell me I can make the same radio do 50 watts RMS and over 100 peak, then that makes a pretty nice barefoot radio. That's perfect for a mobile where you don't have the room, or want to get into rigging up an amp. Pretty much you just want the radio in the vehicle, but want the extra umph, For $40 it will make a great little barefoot radio.

I am doing up a 29 to put in my GF's ride, its getting an RFX75. She doesn't need an amp, nor does she need to worry about the amp. Its one more thing she doesn't have to know all about, just to be able to talk on the radio.

Me, well right now I am running a davemade 5 pill in the mobile right now, working on going a little bigger eventually.

So that RFX75 has its place. Not for every one, but for $40, its a great upgrade.

As for dirty little mosfets? I poop on them. I have herd the audio from an RFX75, and its not even close to as dirty as a mosfet.

I keyed on a 2x6 driven by a galaxy with a mosfet final with my 5 pill driven by a peaked and tuned 29 with a stock final. Humm.... Sure it may have a little more to do with the fact that my Fatboy antenna is 1.0 accross the band and at 47 ohms, he was running a predator 10k.

I'm lucky if I see 7 watts RMS out of the cobra 29. Go figure.

As for dirty little mosfets? I poop on them. I have herd the audio from an RFX75, and its not even close to as dirty as a mosfet.

You realize that the RFX75 is a mosfet device, right?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.