• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RFX95HD only seeing 50w peak

I can tell you that the mfj-870/872 meters are not true peak meters. The power provided to those meters is only for the back light. They are only a better quality glorified version of a dosy.

The 868 on the other hand is a true peak reading meter with a peak circuit that requires power to function correctly.

Just saying.

I run an 872 on my station set up for a general idea and swr purposes but on the work bench the Daiwa cn-901hp because it has a peak sensing circuit. Is the Daiwa dead nuts? Probably not but it's much closer to reality than the 872.

I did the same thing with my dummy load when I setup my desk years ago. Hooked it to my analyzer and it showed right at a 1:1 at around 50 ohms with almost no reactance. Almost pure resistance.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Thank you Eldorado, that explains the differences between the readings now.
So True Peak is somewhat like PEP right?

Some people just dont get it :cautious: All of these commercially available rf power meters will only give you a fairly accurate RELATIVE power reading, not dead on accurate. They are not calibrated lab instruments. Even the bird 43 is only 5% accurate at full scale. It can be as much as 15% inaccurate on the lower quarter of the scale, depending on the element used. A bird meter is NOT the end all holy grail of meters with perfect accuracy. The Bird company even says that. Everyone is always switching around betwenn 500 meters looking for the one that shows just one more watt, or has better swing, and other ridiculousness. You run a goofy cb radio rf meter then you get what you get. Buy an rf meter that actually had some engineering and thought behind it and deal with it. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Well,
I been running this 29 w/ RFX95HD on it in my truck the past couple of days hooked to the 102" whip.

Amp runs very cool, even when hammering on it a while.

Tested it out against a couple local base stations that I've never worked on, and tore their rear end up, a mobile taking a base out with only 97 watts, WOW..

The owner was listening also, and he's amazed at the gain it's got, the loudness and cleanliness of the modulation. They say the modulation this thang has is what's taking them local bases out, lol...

They say the local bases key more, but when I start talking, it's bye bye to those local bases, lol... A 97w mobile taking out local base setups, hahaha....

Yes I did a complete alignment on it also. No spurries or spikes on the spectrum whatsoever except for the fundamental frequency I'm transmitting on, noise floor is flat other than the fundamental.

It's a beast of an old school 29 classic.

Thank you guys for all your help and vital tips/info.

On to the next one...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.