• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rohn bx 64 and dual polarity yagi or quad plus 5/8 vertical

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
I have a bx 64, and am trying to figue how to arrange a 4 element yagi or quad plus a vertical.

I can get a 21 foot mast and 4 foot of that will be nested in the tower and rotor, so that leaves 17 foot above the apex of the tower. I dont like the thouhght of all that mast above the tower. I would like to make it as short as possible and mount the boom of the beam about 3 foot above the apex and 10 foot above that cut the mast off and mount the Maco V5/8. What Im worried about is the elements of the yagi are 18 feet. that leaves 6 foot of element extending below the towers Apex. Will that have an adverse effect over what the mast itself would have.

Also the Maco has the counter poise's that will be only 1 foot above the top of the elements. Will that intefere?

Im still on the fence of a four element quad or yagi. I think these problems would be less with the quad than the yagi.

Ive never done this with a dual polarity or quad beam. ive always used horizantal beams and the setup is easier with them.
What have you seen people do in these situations? Thanks

I have a Rohn 25 tower with a 21 foot mast, and 3 feet is nested in the tower, down to the rotor. I have 2 yagis on 24 foot booms, spaced about 10' apart. There is a picture on my QRZ page.

That being said, I do not know what the specifications on your mast are, so myself or anyone else cannot say what it's capabilities are.

Stay away from Quads. They are nothing but mechanical nightmares. Why anyone bothers with them in this day and age is beyond my comprehension. Yagis are much better mechanically, performance wise and more economical in the long run.

I have a Rohn 25 tower with a 21 foot mast, and 3 feet is nested in the tower, down to the rotor. I have 2 yagis on 24 foot booms, spaced about 10' apart. There is a picture on my QRZ page.

That being said, I do not know what the specifications on your mast are, so myself or anyone else cannot say what it's capabilities are.

Stay away from Quads. They are nothing but mechanical nightmares. Why anyone bothers with them in this day and age is beyond my comprehension. Yagis are much better mechanically, performance wise and more economical in the long run.

What are you using for mast pipe? i have three choices. all 2" Inside diameter. and 20-21 feet in length.

steel pipe, aluminum, and black well pipe. all schedule 40. array solutions lists they sell steel mast pipe. Guessing I should go with the steel, even though it is Very heavy.

Ive just never dealt with mast lengths over a bout 7 feet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.