• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rotary dipole or vertical for 40m

ON7TZ

Nov 11, 2010
Hi I'am Dave located at the northern part of Belgium and I have a tower 19m high.
I can put a rotary dipole of PKW on 22m high the full lenght is 11m long with coils.
Another antennna is the eco AVT 4 vertical for 10 15 20 40 m with radial kit.

http://www.arp.be/webshop/product_in...91c81a3b8702f9http://www.arp.be/webshop/product_info.php/cPath/77_78/products_id/672

This can I put on the roof abt 9m above the ground.

Wich one of these antenna should be working the best for 40m??
Now i using a windom antenna from fritzel FD4 ok I working with me 100W also VK,ZL,YB,JA,W7,VE6 but when more people calling on the same freq with me fd4 I can forget it only when freq is free and I calling only then I will can make the contact so i just looking for a better antenna for 40m and I don't know if one of this two antenna will do that ??

All info will be welcome

73's Dave ON7TZ

The rotatable dipole sounds best. Will have diriectioal effect, and be up higher as well. Link did not work though, so did not see the antenna.
Rich

i would highly consider a delta loop with the apex as high as possible

If try that but not to much differents in RX maybe better in TX.
Apex as high as possible you mean balun on the high top here 19m high also try to put the balun on the right bottom but I'am not sure what the best is, you said on the top correct?

73's Dave

The rotatable dipole sounds best. Will have diriectioal effect, and be up higher as well. Link did not work though, so did not see the antenna.
Rich

Thanks for the info Rich but I think power on the lowband is also important here only 100 Watts.

Dave

If try that but not to much differents in RX... you mean balun on the high top ... try to put the balun on the right bottom but I'am not sure what the best is...

the RX will vary depending on the height of the horiz section above ground, above .2 wl a secondary lobe will develop that may allow close stations to overide DX stations.

you can feed anywhere you want to, depending on what polarization you want Delta Loop for HF

have fun building jim

Dave,
There is no -one- 'best' antenna type for all occasions. At times, the higher antenna will perform better than a lower one. At other times, the lower antenna will perform better than the higher one. Same for polarization. The 'best' antenna will depend on what propagation happens to be at any particular time, and your specific intent (DX/local/whatever).
In general, meaning that there will always be exceptions to any 'rule', a higher antenna will typically do 'better' than a lower one. If you have ever used two antennas of opposite polarization (vert/horz) at the same time, you may have noticed that as reception of either polarization starts to fade, the other antenna of the opposite polarization will start to get stronger. That's normal and to be expected. So, if you could put up both types of antennas and have the ability to switch between them, you would have the best of both.
Antennas of the same electrical length perform the same no matter where they are 'fed'. The 'biggy' is in properly 'matching' the feed point's impedance to the rest of the system. Another 'biggy' is a practical one, how easy will it be to erect that antenna in a particular manner (vert/horz), and where that antenna will be mounted.
Lots of choices, each choice will affect the end performance, and you have a 50% chance of having the 'best' antenna choice in any particular set of circumstances. That makes me think that any antenna choice and mounting scheme will always be a compromise. The 'trick' is to select the 'best' scheme for your particular intentions. There is no -one- 'best' antenna and mounting method! Do what is most practical for you and then wait for things to change... Not a very nice thought, huh? Oh well, sometimes you have 'chicken', sometimes you are 'stuck' with eating 'feathers'...
- 'Doc

A rotatable dipole at 1/2 wavelength high will work very good. A vertical will also work very good on longer paths but may (probably) will pick up more local noise and QRN. If you must choose between those two I would go with the dipole. I have an Explorer-14 with the 40m dipole kit waiting to go up next year and from all reports I have heard the 40m dipole kit works very well on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.