• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RTTY and CW using computer hookup issue

Yea, its just the audio is not making it through...
YEAH, I KNOW - JUST DON'T KNOW WHY

Do this, on the Audio out on the Rig blaster itself, connect some headphones and see if anything comes out.
I AN DECODING CW-RTTY AND HAVE SPEAKERS IN THE OUTPUT JACK OF THE RB AND CAN HEAR FINE...

The knob up front adjusts that signal coming in, so half way is a good start to adjust from there so the signal isnt hammering the radio coming from the computer.
ALREADY MESSED WITH THAT...SAME ...

Better yet, you hook up some speakers to the computer, can you hear it going bezerk when you transmit with the audio coming through it??
I THINK I FOLLOW YOU...WITH SPEAKERS CONNECTED TO COMPUTER OR, TO RADIO ITSELF (ALTHOUGH WOULD BE "CUT OFF" DURING TRANSMITTING), I HEAR AUDIO AS BEING RECEIVED THROUGH RADIO...WITH SPEAKERS CONNECTED TO BACK AUDIO OUT OF RB BACK PANEL, STILL HEAR SPEAKERS AS ABOVE BUT, NO RTTY/CW......IF AUDIO WAS BEING SENT, I SHOULD HEAR IT THROUGH MY "MONITOR RADIO".....

TO NOTE; THE FRONT MIC JACK OF THE ICOM 730 HAS A CABLE RUNNING TO THE BACK "MODULAR" INPUT ON THE BACK OF THE RB.....SEEMS TO ME THAT AUDIO WOULD HAVE TO COME FROM/THROUGH THAT MODULAR OUTPUT TO THE MIC INPUT OF THE ICOM AS A MIC WOULD DO IT....ALL THE INTERNAL JUMPERS ARE CORRECT AS I DID THEM ALL AGAIN THE OTHER DAY....THE BOARD IS LITTERED WITH "OTHER JUMPER BLOCKS"--- COULD BE AN ISSUE WITH ONE OF THEM NEEDING TO BE MOVED?
For now, just hook up some speakers to the green port of the PC, see if you can hear all the RTTY stuff when you press transmit. Least so we know the PC is outputting audio.

UPDATE:
I have attached speakers to the computers' green rear output jack as directed,,,,...When speakers are plugged in and I select cw or rtty and then transmit, that speaker jack is muted....

I hear a carrier on the monitor radio but, no typical tones during transmitting either mode.....

I can also connect speakers to the audio out jack located on the rear of the RB Pro and have no problem listening to what the ICOM 730 receives.

I can hear anything I play on/in the computer through that green jack....

I plugged in an ICOM PTT mic and pressed the transmit button on mick and can hear my voice no problem...

NOTE: Should not ALL audio input be made through the ICOM 730' mic jack?

(generic picts below)...

Front mic jack icom 730 a.jpg

back panel of dell dimension 3000 b.jpg

generic RB Pro back  panel.jpg

generic RB Pro front panel.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... So the audio is not making it out of the computer. When you hooked up some speakers to it and you hit transmit on the program, it was not making any sound and just muted. Double check your sound settings in the program. But to be sure, can you play an MP3 or at least play something that has sound? To be sure audio in general is working on the PC? I think its narrowing down. And yes, the audio from the computer ultimately gets fed into the mic port of your radio.

Hope once the audio situation is figured out from the computer, then you should be able to feed audio back into your radio.

Ok... So the audio is not making it out of the computer.
CORRECT...

When you hooked up some speakers to it and you hit transmit on the program, it was not making any sound and just muted.
AS I STATED.....

Double check your sound settings in the program.
FLDIGI?.....JUST TO BE SURE, LOCATION?....

But to be sure, can you play an MP3 or at least play something that has sound?
YES, AS STATED....

To be sure audio in general is working on the PC? I think its narrowing down. And yes, the audio from the computer ultimately gets fed into the mic port of your radio.
YES, IT IS.....AS FAR AS; "gets fed into the mic port of your radio", THE AUDIO FROM RADIO IS FED EXACTLY AS IN YOUR POSTED VIDEO.

***SEE POST #36 PICTURES***

Hope once the audio situation is figured out from the computer,
THERE IS AUDIO COMING OUT OF THE COMPUTER...I CAN HIT ANY VIDEO, MP3, MOVIE, SOUND FILE AND SOUND IN THE COMPUTER IS FED TO GREEN SPEAKER OUTPUT JACK OF COMPUTER WHERE I HAVE PLUGGED IN SPEAKERS AND HEAR PERFECT SOUND.

then you should be able to feed audio back into your radio.
-SEE ABOVE STATEMENTS-- (THE AUDIO (MUCH LIKE THE AUDIO FROM A MIC I HAD MENTIONED, HAS TO BE FED INTO THE MIC INPUT OF THE RADIO)

Last edited:
there is settings within fldigi for which sound card to choose. this way you force the program to choose it every time.

choose configure on the top menu and then config dialog. check mark Port Audio and choose your appropriate sound settings. save and close.

fldigi config.jpg

I realized that FlDigi didnt even have the PortAudio checkmarked, that explains no audio coming out! But then DigiPan should of at least transmitted audio as it doesnt write to a file.

Reactions: radio grief
I am using FLDIGI...(forget about DIGIPAN for time being)......I am almost positive that I have it checked...Will look at it now............THANKS FOR THE REPLY(IES).

Picture0001.jpg

Picture0002.jpg

Picture0003.jpg

Both the capture and playback are set to the same thing....I wonder....Will tinker with this tomorrow morning...

Last edited:
Reactions: doffo
I am using FLDIGI...(forget about DIGIPAN for time being)......I am almost positive that I have it checked...Will look at it now............THANKS FOR THE REPLY(IES).

View attachment 68593
View attachment 68594

View attachment 68595

Both the capture and playback are set to the same thing....I wonder....Will tinker with this tomorrow morning...
I sure do miss XP... I will eventually build a dedicated XP machine some day... At this rate... the onboard sound somehow isnt outputting right? or maybe has their lists goofy... A sound Blaster Live sound card. Would work great at this point for XP..
This way you can manually choose distinct options for the audio out.

Reactions: radio grief
Before I read the above.....I HAVE SOUND AND TRANSMIT!!!!

Where the window(s) I had posted says "sound max digital audio", I neglected to make any selections from the drop down arrows but, randomly made selections in both....AND IT WORKS!

Last edited:
Tomorrow, I will write my findings in better detail...I remember e-mail talking with the manufacturer and I believe that they said I had to send cw in one of the side band modes but, will re-look at my e-mail......The freqs on the Icom 730 display and Yaesu 901 "don't match up" most likely because of teh display switching when in different modes (duh)....When I used the c64, I only had the one radio and never noticed it...I still detect a carrier in cw mode (I THINK) which, not sure if supposed to be there...I need a break

Here is part of the dialog that was exchanged with the manufacturer and myself:

MANUFACTURER:

One last wrinkle, because FLdigi is SSB/USB specific you actually use USB on your radio for transmitting RTTY.

MY RESPONSE:
*WHAT!?....SET RADIO TO USB?....THIS I GOTTA SEE! *

MANUFACTURER:
It sounds wrong but the author inverted the RTTY signal by default. If you choose LSB on your radio your RTTY signals will be upside-down.

Ok, so wrong of me to assume and digital signal you put to USB... Yea, some goofy rule to put it to USB... Even if you are on 40m? Put it to USB...
Glad you got it figured out. Computer side of stuff..

Also, do you still have that Commodore 64?? If you do.. I want to repair it if it no longer works lol... I need to not get rusty fixing that machine. ;)

Ok, so wrong of me to assume and digital signal you put to USB... Yea, some goofy rule to put it to USB... Even if you are on 40m? Put it to USB...
Glad you got it figured out. Computer side of stuff..

Also, do you still have that Commodore 64?? If you do.. I want to repair it if it no longer works lol... I need to not get rusty fixing that machine.
##################################

Still have it with drive, monitor, ps....I gotta have a break here....Will get back to this in morning...
THANK YOU AGAIN!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.