• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

S9-175 or DX 98VHP

Magnum S9-175 or Galaxy DX 98VHP

• Magnum

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Galaxy

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Thanks for the information guys, The ones who actually contributed :whistle:

I have sold a few of my radios including my S9-175 in order to finance the C4 but after reading many reviews I wish I would not have. I have narrowed it down to the Galaxy or another S9.

the 98 with a good alignment and few minor upgrades. or better yet an old hr2510 and an amp... just saying. as for the S9, talk about a quality control major failfest. I would not own one ever. and besides the Galaxy sounds awesome.

Do the Galaxy 94HP and 98VHP have the same el cheapo feeling control knobs that my 949 has? Just curious as I don't have a local dealer where I can lay my hands on these radios.

thanks.

Last edited:
The Galaxy 98 is a cool looking radio that kicks butt on AM, and is a drifter on SSB. Even when tuned correctly the radio will get warm, there are 8 mosfets in there. Warm is ok, hot is not. Anyone that claims their 98 does not get warm must not be keying the mic I guess.

The Magnum S9-175 is also a very cool radio. More stable on SSB but afew less watts then the 98. It would be a draw on AM audio quality. The Magnum is also out of production as well.

In the end you have to decide on which one you like better. If you talk alot of SSB you probably won't want either one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.