• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Seems like a fair price

It just proves that their are people with more money than brains in this world nothing else. LOL I long ago took steps to keep most people like that out of my life. They are like the infamous Jerry Springier Trailer Park Trash brother's dating the same women! No I do not saddle all people that live in a Trailer Park as trash! I want to make it very clear. Nothing is funnier than when you see 6 or 7 trailers in a row with Antron 99's. I do not want to know how that works out in practice!

If someone gave me one I would be willing to go through one and fix all the cold solder joints and other known issues. I would never pay a premium for one. I had a CB shop offer to trade me a new one for my mint Palomar SSB500. I said no because at the time the only thing that worked right in them was the bjt amplifier.

It just proves that their are people with more money than brains in this world nothing else. LOL I long ago took steps to keep most people like that out of my life. They are like the infamous Jerry Springier Trailer Park Trash brother's dating the same women! No I do not saddle all people that live in a Trailer Park as trash! I want to make it very clear. Nothing is funnier than when you see 6 or 7 trailers in a row with Antron 99's. I do not want to know how that works out in practice!

If someone gave me one I would be willing to go through one and fix all the cold solder joints and other known issues. I would never pay a premium for one. I had a CB shop offer to trade me a new one for my mint Palomar SSB500. I said no because at the time the only thing that worked right in them was the bjt amplifier.

In fact I would actual pay more for a NOS un-molested Cobra 148 GTL than I would for this! LOL No amount of channels and power is worth a dodgy design with poor build quality!

Yep because a 148 GTL I can mount mobile or use as a base with a big base you do not have that option. Big Bases almost always have terribly limited supplies that limit your tuning. Since I do not value big base stations I would never pay what a lot of people want for them. 148's are easier to find on good shape than attempting to find a big base in great shape. Shipping is far less for a mobile, especially from Canada! If I want to set one up or store it the footprint is smaller again giving my a lot of options.

When looking at base units you are almost always better off running them off separate 12V supply since the power supply built into them is usually very anemic. The weakest link is not easy to swap parts like diodes, transistors or caps it is the actual transformer used in them. Often trying to find control pots and trim pieces for a base is much harder than finding repair parts for cheaper and far more popular mobile units.

When it comes time for shipping base stations being heavier and larger seldom fair as well as mobiles.

A long time ago when my wife and I were dating she worked at a lumber store. Benny Babies where all the rage. One of her co-workers thought she was going to put her kids through college with them. I laughed in a large obnoxious way. I thought she was joking. SHe was being serious. I told her " Whatever high-value ones you have get rid of them liquidate them ASAP for actual hard currency!" "Do not keep speculating because the bottom is going to fall out of that artificial market and when it does it is not going to give you much warning!". She thought I was crazy. It was prob. 6-8 months later and it happened just as I said!

Most people have no idea of the real value of things. They have no clue when to get in and when to get out! Since most people do not understand how anything works they can not make a good call on actual utility, quality or value. These means they need to rely on others to tell them what has value. The problem is that the people selling things will always exaggerate the value of a thing. Most experts are just parrot look at the housing bubble and many other times the experts have been completely wrong.

In the case of CB radio's, you have a bunch of really old men with no bills and nice pensions that want what they want! Since they have more money than they have time left on this earth they want what they want and they want it now. This artificially drives up the price on many things in this hobby and in many others. On top of that, they have time and money and little else so winning auctions means a lot to them. So what many perceive as value is really a ballon of sorts and does not reflect the greater hobby in general or what things are actually worth.

Keep in mind that whatever the market will bear is the fair market value of a thing. The problem comes when you remove those outliers from that specific market. This is when you see what seems like an unexpected crash in a market but the writing was on the wall for all to see for a long time. So in this context, you have a lot of people in the hobby that have no memory of a lot of these things and so they have no real value to them. This is why for instance you see some knuckleheads come on here regularly with something that some of us really value like a NOS/NIB 858 Chasis and all want is a quick answer about how to butcher the rare old insanely well-built radio that some of us would pay good money for even an old beat up unit and would pay to have it refurbished. To us, it is like gold but to them, it is just another old POS radio with no value or meaning.

Most things people think of as investments or valuable has no intrinsic value and are very volatile. This is why if you want to invest and do not want to have an asset that is also a liability you need to invest in things with intrinsic value that has stood the test of time like Gold. Before Egypt was Eqypt and had Pharo's gold had value and it still does.It has never gone out of fashion or stopped having value.

So value is a fickle thing and in most cases. That is why one person might be willing to pay $699+$150 shipping for a NOS Cobra 2000 and one might not be willing to pay more than $149 for it. If you look at it from a utility standpoint you can do most of what a super expensive Cobra 2000 can do with a $79 used Cobra 148. If you tell people on air that you are talking on a Cobra 2000 they really can not tell that your a liar and really talking on a Cobra 148! LOL

Yep because a 148 GTL I can mount mobile or use as a base with a big base you do not have that option. Big Bases almost always have terribly limited supplies that limit your tuning. Since I do not value big base stations I would never pay what a lot of people want for them. 148's are easier to find on good shape than attempting to find a big base in great shape. Shipping is far less for a mobile, especially from Canada! If I want to set one up or store it the footprint is smaller again giving my a lot of options.

When looking at base units you are almost always better off running them off separate 12V supply since the power supply built into them is usually very anemic. The weakest link is not easy to swap parts like diodes, transistors or caps it is the actual transformer used in them. Often trying to find control pots and trim pieces for a base is much harder than finding repair parts for cheaper and far more popular mobile units.

When it comes time for shipping base stations being heavier and larger seldom fair as well as mobiles.

All well and good but what does it have to do with the radio in question that you compared your mobile preference too? It is not a base radio.

Reactions: Johnno
For $1500 you can buy a wonderful amateur radio that is way more versatile. The export Cobra 148s don't have the heavy audio the 40 ch side mic 148s do.

Yep because a 148 GTL I can mount mobile or use as a base with a big base you do not have that option
So you would give $1500+ for a radio that at best is worth $150? I might give $75 if I was even remotely interested in a CB. Of course, I am not and I do still have a Uniden Grant which I would take over a 148 anyway.

Anyway please do not take offence to this, I find it fascinating as to what people put a value on. I love watching American Pickers and I am always blown away but what they pay for stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.