• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

send to shop or no..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
if its fried i dont want to pay to send it to the shop..2970n2 went completly black and no sound at all 10 minutes after i quit txing on it..also noticed the power supply was getting real hot which it never did befor after this happened..after i turned the radio off awhile the power supply cooled back down to normal and still works well with another radio on..hooked the n2 back up n the same thing happed,,no sound n no lites,,completly dead.n the ps started heating up again.the ps is a astron 70 amp............signed,disgruntled cb,er....PS,,i never ran the radio over 100 watts n yes the warrenty is up....

I would send it in. I know the mosfet finals are very touchy with high SWR levels. If your antenna system caused the problem the warranty will not cover it. Or if the shop mis-tuned the radio RCI will not cover it either. Either way send it in and see whats up. Who did you buy the radio from?

If you decide to sell it, I'd buy it for a parts radio, but it's probably salvageable depending on what you want to spend to have it fixed.

i bought the radio from bobs cb in penn. the warrenty is past due..i called him n he said to ship it back for a look but he didnt give me any ideas what mite be wrong untill he see,it..if no good i guess i,ll just take it back and sell it for parts on ebey....the swr was fine n i never ran it over 1oo watts becauce any more than that it was a amp hog....

That Power supply is plenty to feed that radio and then some so dont ever worry about that part of it. It is a really odd problem you are experiencing thats forsure and what gets me is as you stated it simply just quit on its own without help or misstreating the rig.

yep,,talked for 10 minutes or so then watched tv for 10 minutes n looked around n she,s gone....i would of thought it was just a fuse till i felt how hot the ps was....anybody got any ideas why the ps heated up then quit heating up with a different radio on ?

must be a short in the radio or amp. why not cut the dc leads to the radio and power it direct to see is the amp faulty?

Fodendaf....how do you power direct if u cut the leads ? Oncebitten..i do have two boston terriers that love to chew in fact they chewed a hole through our drywall..the cables are pretty big in diameter n didnt notice anything when i disconnected the radio but i,ll look again..

remove the amp cover and examine the wiring. there are two thick cables feeding the amp from the outside and from the amp there are two unfused wires powering the radio. they are the next biggest. there are more wires for the amp relay which plugs in near the finals and wires for the swr meter but they are a small gauge. I would just cut the one second biggest red wire and extend it to the power supply and use the original negative dc lead as is. you might fuse that wire also for protection. If you get confused then remove the amp cover inside to examine the amp board it might make things clearer.
but i dont know how to repair the box. if you want to keep it neat then best send it off. at best if the amp is at fault you will just be running barefoot.
if that works and the radio lights up then pull the relay plug near the finals. Otherwise you will be keying into an unpowered amp which is bad for finals

RCI 2970N2? I wonder if 1 or more of the MOSFETs on the amp board went south... they tend go short when they fail. I would send it in and have Bob's take a look at it. See if they can at least tell you what's going on with it. Good luck!

I think what Fodendaf means is to cut power to the amp board, and power up just the radio only, to see if the fault is in the amp board.

~Cheers~

Yes it is, Splash.

MOSFETS are cheap. You can get bulk quantities off Ebay real reasonable, as cheap as $1.00/per MOSFET or even cheaper if you buy a lot of them. The 2970N2's are a good radio, and it's worth it. For a Quantity of 10 MOSFETS, IRF 520N's, you're looking at probably about $12.00-$16.00 for a sleeve shipped. I'd go for it. Just make sure they are genuine IRF 520's from International Rectifier, and not some cheap knockoff. Do some research on them, and you're good to go.

10/EA IRF520N - BRAND NEW - SUB ERF2030 IRF 520 | eBay

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.