• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Separation between vertical and steppir

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Im going to be buying a 5/8 wave vertical and want to put it anove my 3L Steppir. Im thinking ill put the ground plane elements at differant angles to the steppir to cut down on the reaction between them. But what id like to know is anyone who might have this same configuration can tell me the distance needed between the two antennas in reality. I understand a 1/4 wavelength is optimal but with the steppir being mainly fiberglass what has someone else tried. My tower is 40 feet high and i dont want to put 9ft of separation between the two as its going to make for a very long mast. Im hoping 6ft or less but can someone tell me what they have tried and the outcome. Just trying to save myself,a few steps when it comes to putting it up. The steppir can be adjusted for vswr if a reaction accures but the vertical cant very easaly be changed. Plus i dont like the idea of standing onvthe top plate of the tower straped to a mast only. Scarry if you know what i mean.

Thanks for any replys.
Jerry...

the Stepir is more like a copper roll up flat strap inside the fiberglass. its every bit as much of an issue as any other antenna, wire, aluminum or 'fiberglass'

1/2 wave separation would be better

you might there will likely be some 'excitement' on 12m/11m/10m

however as you thought rotating the ground plane off angle from the steppir elements (45 degrees in this case) would limit this,maybe even completely avoid it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.