• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SETTING OFF THE FIRE ALARM

GDR3571

Oct 22, 2008
HEY ALL,
JUST PUT UP MY RIG, YEASU 767GX, ANTRON 99. ON AM WHEN I KEY UP I SET THE FIRE ALARM OFF IN THE HALL WAY ABOUT 15FT AWAY.THE ALARM IS HARD WIRED TO THE ELECTRIC SYSTEM IN THE BUILDING. THERE IS NO INTERFERENCE ON THE TV,WHICH IS 5FT FROM THE RIG,, CAN I USE A LOW PASS FILTER TO ELIMINATE THE PROB??? I'M USEING SUPER 8X COAX AS WELL,,WOULD'VE LIKE TO USE 8U BUT I'M RESTICTED ON WHAT I CAN RUN. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

73'S

I doubt a low-pass filter would be of any help at all. Try reducing the power output. I'm betting you're overloading the control unit. Remember, you have (I believe) fire sensors in each room, with wire interconnections, right?

Recommendations: First, turn off the CAPITALS. Second, it's Yaesu, not Yeasu.
For the problem, reduced power and/or ferrites.

Get the antenna up higher and farther away from the house. You said that you have some restrictions, so that may not be feasible. If the antenna is real close, you probably not going to have much choice but to do what Beetle recommended.

I can make the sprinkler solenoids in the front yard go off if I give it enough power on 80m. The go on and off with the fluctuations of my voice. The neighbors think I'm trying to impersonate the Bellagio in Vegas... hehe (y)

SORRY FOR THE SPELLING ERROR, AND MY CAPS LOCK ARE STUCK ON ON THIS COMPUTER!! THANKS FOR THE INFO, I'LL TRY EVERYONES ADVICE

Basically, you're over-loading the alarm circuitry. No idea if that's from RF or through the AV wiring, could be either, or both for that matter. If you're not getting a 'chirp' or two from the other alarms in the house, I'd have to think it's RF. The 'cure' for that is as the others have said. Not a very appealing thought, huh? Oh well...
- 'Doc

the standard A99 has no ground plane, so you probably have RF coming down the outside of the coax.

moleculo has the correct suggestion.
There are other things to try: Install a ground plane kit. Install an "ugly" balun. Route coax away from any alarm wiring. Egg-insulate any guy wires.

I can make the sprinkler solenoids in the front yard go off if I give it enough power on 80m. The go on and off with the fluctuations of my voice. The neighbors think I'm trying to impersonate the Bellagio in Vegas... hehe (y)

My buddy had the same trouble, also on 75m. He put bypass caps across the power lines for the solenoids and it fixed it.

My buddy had the same trouble, also on 75m. He put bypass caps across the power lines for the solenoids and it fixed it

Yep, I was going to do the same thing, but it really only happes at about 2KW+. And the only reason to run that much is while on MARS. And the only reason to do it on MARS is because I can. So I really don't do it unless the kids want a water show. They think it's funny.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.