• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shakespeare 176su super big stick

I believe the difference is height or at least it was years ago. The super BS was 16' and made it UPS-shippable. Now I am working off 35-year-old brain info so I could be completely wrong.

Well it has been a long long time since anyone has brought this up. I think the problem was two fold. TO make it into a 2 piece antenna that would ship without oversized charges it was made too short. They lowered it's gain, changed the take off angle, and made it more prone to RFI especially common mode. So at a time when the Antron-99 would set you back $49 the Shakespear Big Stick or whatever it was called was about $149. The Antron-99 was not a perfect antenna but it was cheaper and performed better in receive and transmit.

I might have gotten some things a tad wrong but that is how I remember things now.

Reactions: S&W357
I don't overly concern myself over trying to have the biggest and baddest omni made as I have a life outside of the radio hobby and I run a big beam......

What's the difference between the regular 2 section and the super big stick 2 section version?
I have all versions here NOS. The antennas are the same electrically. The 3 piece was, as noted here, to ship in the under 8' oversize category.

I have an old unused 8' bottom section, that was DOA. There is a tiny LC network at the feedpoint, that is crimped onto the wire radiator. The silver mica cap was crimped and broken during the manufacturing process and then sealed into the antenna. I had to dissect and destroy it to figure out why it didn't work.

There is no way a Big Stick will handle much power, but it is durable.

I have all versions here NOS. The antennas are the same electrically. The 3 piece was, as noted here, to ship in the under 8' oversize category.

I have an old unused 8' bottom section, that was DOA. There is a tiny LC network at the feedpoint, that is crimped onto the wire radiator. The silver mica cap was crimped and broken during the manufacturing process and then sealed into the antenna. I had to dissect and destroy it to figure out why it didn't work.

There is no way a Big Stick will handle much power, but it is durable.

This is the Shakespeare Big Stick data I have....

176S Super big stick

Antenna coaxial for mast mounting 1 ¼” u bolts. Specifications same as 176-1
Same specs as the 176-1

176-1

length of whip 96” base 120”
Frequency 27 MHz citizens band
SWR 2 0:1 or less from channel 1-40
Impedance: 50 ohms
Polarization: vertical
Max power input:300 watts
Gain: 7.65 dbi
D.C Ground: yes