• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shoot-Out Radios

How do you feel about radio shoot-out competitions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How do you feel about radio shoot-out competitions?
LF what a great survey. I have a lot of Craigslist radios usually bought for 20-30 bucks. They range from big finals, to volted, and what have you. Some of them are simple clip 109 to Witchcraft. I cannot believe they are still alive. So there is some kind of art conjuring these things. Do not know how to answer the survey, There is a limited number of non-smd rados and that is bothersome. 543 said racing is a thing. So true. These can be rebuilt and rebuilt. Like you can always fix it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
i like the fact that people hold these competitions even if i hate what they do to their radios in order to compete in them.

To me, anything that encourages people buying and using CB equipment is good for the hobby because once the market disappears, so does the hobby eventually.

I would actually like to attend one someday, but they seem to be popular only in certain regions that are too far for me to travel for a one day excursion.

I have always wondered what would happen if someone scheduled a 'break' on the same day and a few miles away from a hamfest.

I can't help but picture a bunch of old guys with antennas on their backpacks running towards a park from three different directions while a bunch of bald guys with goatees throw beer cans at them. LOL

LC
We recycle.

LF, so there is some kind of art conjuring these things. 543 said racing is a thing. Like you can always fix it.

Robert, I agree!
A butchered radio can be found in various states; ranging from bad, to good with a missing diode. It is fun to bring 'em back, and put them in service.
Shame when they pull the ferrite out and toss it..
I'm sorry you've found more used radios in really poor shape, rather than just cosmetically dirty.

My experience is quite the opposite of yours, I must say I tend to find a lot of dirt and dust in the controls and switches, and bad capacitors.. After that a good three out of four used radios (that had been set down and forgotten about) are going to work again!

Last edited:
I agree though, a butchered radio can be found in various states; ranging from bad, to good with a missing diode. It is fun to bring 'em back, and put them in service.
Shame when they pull the ferrite out and toss it..
I'm sorry you've found more used radios in really poor shape, rather than just cosmetically dirty.

My experience is quite the opposite of yours, I must say.
Copy that LF. I accept the challenge. No matter the condition I am greatfull to have them.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Copy that LF. I accept the challenge. No matter the condition I am greatfull to have them.
Are you implying something?
Hard to read your text and really tell!
I would never butcher a radio and sell it.
LOL
I sell.... ideas, not radios.
You cannot kill an idea, as long as it propagates it will remain immortal.

Don't know why everyone continues to assume a "competition radio" or "shoot-out radio" is gonna be butchered, people have won trophies with a clean radio. Suppose I can see the sub-conscious association to nasty... because.. that's an easy way to make the watt meter show some extra OOhmmpphh!

Is nasty really gonna win every time, or is my signal going to act like a Grease-Cutter and dice right through the noise, to be heard clearly on the receiving end?

Last edited:
LOL
What I sell, is..... an idea.

Don't know why everyone continues to assume a "competition radio" or "shoot-out radio" is gonna be butchered, people have won trophies with a clean radio. Suppose I can see the sub-conscious association to nasty... because.. that's an easy way to make the watt meter show some extra OOhmmpphh!
I asked out of curiosity; nothing more.

Reactions: LeapFrog
LOL
What I sell, is..... an idea.

No Sir. Not at all. Not a good typer and a worse speaker.

No Sir. Not at all. Not a good typer and a worse speaker.
No worries 2315 Robert, I am super-glad that you are into CB.
Sorry if I came across roughly, didn't mean to say you're bad at typing or speaking.
Nothing like that, brother.

My whole point here tonight is to help keep the hobby going!

Events make it interesting,
we can destroy the old notion, that "a shoot-out must be a dirty event".
This helps to lesson the stigma around key-down events, because clean RF is important.

Last edited:
No worries, I am super-glad that you are into CB.
Events make it interesting, we can destroy the old notion, that a shoot-out must be a dirty event.
LF it is strong out here on the west coast. I and 16yo son are having fun with electronics. I was away when Kaos sent me that YD1022 for a 2006 29. He was curious as a take out part if it was good. Told him I would have Sylas put it in and explained how we(Sylas and myself do these things). I came home early and we did together.(Kaos part, audio IC good). Being a NW from many a year ago with NW still working Sylas is as hooked as I am on this "hobby". He has no desire to talk on the radio but, wants to understand it from front back. I am not good at anything radio but want to learn.

LF it is strong out here on the west coast. I and 16yo son are having fun with electronics. I was away when Kaos sent me that YD1022 for a 2006 29. He was curious as a take out part if it was good. Told him I would have Sylas put it in and explained how we(Sylas and myself do these things). I came home early and we did together.(Kaos part, audio IC good). Being a NW from many a year ago with NW still working Sylas is as hooked as I am on this "hobby". He has no desire to talk on the radio but, wants to understand it from front back. I am not good at anything radio but want to learn.

waste of time and money

That is cool and I can relate. I am working with my 16yo son on projects around the house and lately a remote control car kit that he was able to put together himself with a little guidance. We still need to work on his soldering but he is getting the hang of it. He enjoys doing radio checks between our mobile and base when we change something up or get something new, if I could just get him to do his homework then I would be doing something. LOL

That is cool and I can relate. I am working with my 16yo son on projects around the house and lately a remote control car kit that he was able to put together himself with a little guidance. We still need to work on his soldering but he is getting the hang of it. He enjoys doing radio checks between our mobile and base when we change something up or get something new, if I could just get him to do his homework then I would be doing something. LOL
The Rc thing is awesome. The homework is tough. I can remember my first RC 10. It had a servo with a wiper that ran across a banded resistor. Then I got a Novak speed control. The transistors poked out of the case and in my mind this was the future. At that time 2 separate heat sinks came with the speed control. That was my start on how does it work. A crazy neighborhood kid tried to jump over it one day and failed stopped it and transistors failed. So my Grandad and I drove to Lake Forest CA and the man who repaired it for nothing was Bob Novak. My Grandad was an engineer for the department of water and power. They struck up a conversation that I did not understand but will never forget. It was on a Saturday. The speed control got fixed but I remember wanting to be as smart as them one day.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
No worries 2315 Robert, I am super-glad that you are into CB.
Sorry if I came across roughly, didn't mean to say you're bad at typing or speaking.
Nothing like that, brother.

Events make it interesting,
we can destroy the old notion, that "a shoot-out must be a dirty event".
This helps to lesson the stigma around key-down events, because clean RF is important.
Thanks LF I get a little crossed up from time to time. I do know that clean and loud is possible. Just have sanitize my junk over here. 73's.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.