• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sideband ?

SharpShooter

Apr 11, 2010
It seems that the Hams use " upper " and the CB'ers use " lower ".

Is there a reason ?....and if so please explain.:redface:

Hi SS,

Yes and No

Hams use UpperSB on their bands that are above 10mhz and Lower SB on the bands below 10mhz. Tune in the ham bands on 40, 80 and 160 meters and you'll find their SSB use is exclusively LSB. The exception is the 5-Channelized 60 meter band. That is designated for USB.

CB is either way. In the old 23 channel days it was customary that channels 16 and 17 were for sideband use. And I say "customary" and not mandatory. 16 was typically LSB and 17 was USB. Then with the expansion to 40 channels you typically saw 38 was LSB and 39 was USB. But there never was any laws or official designations....just whatever the CB community fell into doing.

In the "freeband" 11 meter area above channel 40 the "International Calling Frequency" is 27.555 USB

I find that the freeband area above Ch. 40 is mostly evenly split between USB and LSB. The freeband area below Ch 1 is mostly AM above 26.500 and then you see more SSB operation again below 26.500 down to 26.000

Good luck

In the 23 channel days, channel 16 was the designated ssb channel by gentlemens agreement, and when the 40s came out, it was 16, 37, 38, 39, 40. No upper or lower designations. Use whichever, even saw both sides in use at the same time quite often. Gentlemens agreements were fine back then, because operators were gentleman, and would abide by this agreement most of the time, unlike today.

Aaaah, the good old days.

In the 23 channel days, channel 16 was the designated ssb channel by gentlemens agreement, and when the 40s came out, it was 16, 37, 38, 39, 40. No upper or lower designations. Use whichever, even saw both sides in use at the same time quite often. Gentlemens agreements were fine back then, because operators were gentleman, and would abide by this agreement most of the time, unlike today.

Aaaah, the good old days.

Ah I dunno. Guess it depends of where you were. I lived in metro Atlanta at the time and CB was worse then than it is now. Now we just have more noise toys and good echo and fancy export rigs. The CB of "the good old days" got so bad that the FCC deregulated it and turned around and ran away as fast as they could.

Originally Posted by Wire Weasel View Post
Nope, they're electrically and operationally the same...just different.

I'm ignoring you Mack. You're asking simpleton questions as if you just got into radio yesterday. You might have just fallen off the back of a turnip truck and hit your head....again....but you did not just get into radio yesterday.

:love::whistle:

Just curious about your take on that question and thought sharp shooter might like to know as well but there is an answer to the question whether you choose to give it or not.

Ah I dunno. Guess it depends of where you were. I lived in metro Atlanta at the time and CB was worse then than it is now. Now we just have more noise toys and good echo and fancy export rigs. The CB of "the good old days" got so bad that the FCC deregulated it and turned around and ran away as fast as they could.

I was actually thinking of the early to mid 70's. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.