• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Signal generator 8640b reverse power?

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
Anybody know how many watts a 8640 signal generator can handle? Say you are connected to the rf power output and accidentally key your mic. I wonder how much abuse they can take. And no I dont have option 003. Thanks.

They won't handle too much. Ensure that you can't key the mic. Best to wire a dummy mike plug so it stays in RX mode without the mic plugged in when testing with a sig gen connected anyway.

Reactions: 222DBFL
The best thing to do is never input power of any level into a 8640b.
It is not a transmit tester to begin with. Although right on the front of the SG there is a tag that say 50 watts input MAXIMUM. And it is only there to help prevent a problem if you accidently key the radio into it.

Attachments

• 50 watts max.JPG
    50 watts max.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 6
The best thing to do is never input power of any level into a 8640b.
It is not a transmit tester to begin with. Although right on the front of the SG there is a tag that say 50 watts input MAXIMUM. And it is only there to help prevent a problem if you accidently key the radio into it.
Yeah the 50 watts maximum is only on the signal generator with option 003 reverse power protection. Anyway I couldn't find any info on it and I was just wondering cause I'm a dumbass I think I might have keyed the mic with generator off. But all is well. Thanks.

Yeah the 50 watts maximum is only on the signal generator with option 003 reverse power protection. Anyway I couldn't find any info on it and I was just wondering cause I'm a dumbass I think I might have keyed the mic with generator off. But all is well. Thanks.

You will probably be ok this time. Like someone else said use a dummy plug in the mic jack if needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.