• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siltronics LA-550 " keying relay issues"

It tested like this one direction only and still installed in the board

Attachments

• 20221030_221339.jpg
    20221030_221339.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Or 1.275 k ohms one direction no continuity either, the bad one I replaced in this board does have continuity

It is probably good. I would look more closely at the two transistors. I am guessing they ain't right.
Ok, I sure will ! I have to eat and get ready for bed but i will check the orientation of them tomorrow after work from the schematic, I sure appreciate you helping me with this mess

My idiot light just came on. You don't have a diagram for it do you?

Now ya do.

I was never fond of this keying circuit. You may want to dribble some contact cleaner onto the trimmer pot on the keying circuit pc board. Work it back and forth so the solvent can do its thing. Might make all the difference right there.

Attachments

• 550s1.jpg
    550s1.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Danzik

Now ya do.

I was never fond of this keying circuit. You may want to dribble some contact cleaner onto the trimmer pot on the keying circuit pc board. Work it back and forth so the solvent can do its thing. Might make all the difference right there.
We'll do Nomadradio !

Now ya do.

And thanks for the advice
It is probably good. I would look more closely at the two transistors. I am guessing they ain't right.
I ended up staying up last night until blurry eyed with this thing past 1 am back to work at 5 , well, you were correct again I had Q1 transistor incorrect! After I put them the way they are supposed to be I bet I checked the schematic 20 times, unfortunately the relay is still engaging when turning the bypass switch to low or high, when I get home today I am going to deoxit the pot Nomadradio was referring too ‍♂️ glad I put those connectors on those wires for the relay, I had a feeling I would be removing it several times, makes the job quicker !

Now ya do.

What does that pot really do anyways? Is it possible that is the issue with the relay staying engaged when switched to low or high power without keying the mic ? Thanks

And thanks for the advice

I ended up staying up last night until blurry eyed with this thing past 1 am back to work at 5 , well, you were correct again I had Q1 transistor incorrect! After I put them the way they are supposed to be I bet I checked the schematic 20 times, unfortunately the relay is still engaging when turning the bypass switch to low or high, when I get home today I am going to deoxit the pot Nomadradio was referring too ‍♂️ glad I put those connectors on those wires for the relay, I had a feeling I would be removing it several times, makes the job quicker !
What transistors did you use? Have you checked them now?

What transistors did you use? Have you checked them now?
I used the 2NC945 I had to twist one around pretty good but it worked out ok but no I have not checked them since the install, but sitting here on break I am thinking about something that I may have done incorrectly, there is a large resistor on that relay board on the bottom and it goes down to antenna in jack, I am wondering if that was supposed to go to ground instead of the center post ????

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: