• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio performer 5000

I have mine mag mounted can't put a permanent mount on my work van. My problem is when I hit something the tip of the antenna bends and I have to bend it back, sling this repeatedly is going to make my tip break eventually, was looking at the 102" whip for a more robust tip I guess. Thanks for all the input and it is all noted.

Are you sayin that the whip on the Sirio antenna bends when you hit an object with it? I was thinkin of switching from my Wilson 5000 for my next install but I hit low hanging objects on a daily basis in my truck so if thats the case that doent sound like a good deal. :eek:

Yes I have had my tip bend from hitting things like low bridges and trees. Easy to fix but a pain I the but to climb up my truck to do. I put some heat shrink on the end of my whip to help with the shock , seems to be working as I have hit a few things and no bending

after almost a year my Wilson 1000 started taking on water, took it off a few weeks ago and the coil was full of moisture, ordered a sirio so239 hard mount and a sirio performer 5000

the so239 mount arrived first so I installed that and even with the Wilson antenna I noticed a reduction in the noise level over the mag mount so that was a bonus! and no more coax running through the hatch.

a few days later the sirio 5000 showed up,, got it set up and tuned, had to take about 1/2" off the whip and here is what I got for swr range:

25.900 2.5swr
26.250 2.0swr
27.385 1.2swr
28.565 2.0swr
29.000 2.5swr

Installed mine last week. It's great on swr and like yours it's mounted exactly the same way. Looks a Little odd with the hard plastic roof mount and the rubber on the antenna bottom too but I'm glad mine isn't the only one mounted this way. I found a few pics online showing others with the same mount as well.

My old antenna didn't have anywhere near the bandwidth and was nowhere near the quality of the sirio. it's a win win situation buying a sirio hands down.

Reactions: 1 person
so what would be a better antenna then,, and not a 102 whip,,, the sirio beats the Wilson in distance and bandwidth

Not to mention quality... With that said I was a long time k40 user myself and have had my share of arguments defending the k40 but not anymore. I haven't found one single category that the k40 is even close in comparison to the sirio 5000. With the exception of the quarter turn quick release but that's no big deal just A few extra seconds to unmount.

Yeah,Sirio is the next best thing to a 102" SS whip plus I don't have all that whip beside the vehicle's body. My radio's swr used to increase whenever my K40 antenna would get wet and the magmount would hold water that got in it. Sirio certainly did their homework in making sure that their product would keep out water. The K40 has the same design as the one I bought back in the eighties. In other words,they did nothing to address any issues that I suppose that K40 owners would address. The K40's whip is too short to tune correctly for 11 meters on today's K40 as it was back in the eighties.
I'm well pleased with my Sirio Performer PL5000.

Reactions: 2 people
Did anyone encounter thin sheet metal? That's been my concern. I haven't installed my hard mount yet

I used a 5/8 washer on the bottom side of the car roof on my hard mount. I had to because the previous hole was 7/8 inch. with that said it works fine with the washer and does provide a little more stability as well.

Last edited:
I agree 100% 6 months ago I wouldn't have believed it. the swr is so much better across the board with the sirio it's almost unreal. White noise is cleaner and lower. No need to use the noise blanker with this antenna. if the market was in more demand maybe k40 and wilson would re design their antenna to be more competative.

Broadbanded and quiet? To me that just doesn't sound like it's efficient.

its all true!! you keep posting that's its an INEFFICIENT antenna, but the results don't lie. again if its so INEFFICIENT , then what is a better antenna, not including the 102 whip,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.