• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio SD-27

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
Has anyone here ever used or know of someone that has used a Sirio SD-27 dipole I have been thinking of getting another antenna for Dx . I am thinking of stringing a wire but have been looking at these , I have had a PDL an Moon raker in the past an with the wind I get up here on the hill I just don't want to deal with another kite but yet want something better than this A-99 for DX .Thanks for you help !:unsure:

Antenna is orientated the wrong way for DX in the photo on their website. You want it horizontal to take advantage of the gain available from ground reflection.

Mounted vertically there won't be much difference between that and the A99. Mounted horizontally on a cheap rotator 25-35ft high you'll notice a lot more difference. It'll be quieter and you can rotate it to send the signal where you want and also null out QRM off the ends.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks MOGVZ , yes I was planning mounting it horizontal like you said the other way wouldn't suit my needs for DX I already have a box an a rotor .:D

Yep you can get the UNADILLA balun with wire for a dipole that will handle 1.5kw pep. Cost was around 40 dollars, or hit up radio shack and get a SO-239 connector and find some plexiglass or good ABS plastic and make one, I used one and made an air choke with my coax. It worked great!! And with it horizontal about 25-30ft off the ground I was still able to talk locally and dx'ing was great with it!! Cost me under 10 dollars with the parts I had. Used some #12awg wire and a couple of conduit connectors on the ends (plastic ones). If my neighbors behind me weren't such jerks, It would still be up, I currently have an old a99 or similar that is aluminum at least and has the 5 or 6ft firestick on the end. It works okay, but I did prefer the dipole. Just my experience. That dipole worked great with a barefoot uniden pc122XL. Talked around the world including Australia! Anyway, have a look on eBay, there are some ones on there that are less than 25 shipped and do work well from what others have said on the forum here. I believe a couple of members have them

Thanks 222 , I am kind of one of those ADHD guys it just has to look right ! lol if I am not going to gain anything considering I am only concentrating on one direction the wire might be the right way to go , is there any supposed gain on the SD -27 vs a wire ? Just curios .

Not sure, I just know that the wire dipole works!! It was a very simple thing to make that really performed well. For what I had in it, I don't think there is any antenna for the money that even comes close. JMO. Now remember I said for the money. The dipole setup with a matching balun can be had for 20-40 dollars, depends On the make. And all that is needed is a Couple tall trees or some thing stuff enough to hold the wires apart. I have seen cane poles used!! Had mine strung up between 2 trees pointed N to S. Great deal for what it is.

well im a bit of a goober when it comes to building stuff...lol so for that reason i would
definately buy the sirio d-27. maco also has there version as well but they call
it a balcony antenna. but i do agree with others you can build it cheaper

Hotrod don't feel bad 10 years ago I had some health issue's that hinders some thing I can do so for what the cost I would purchase it also . I am really leaning towards the wire they are cheap enough . Then there is the roof an ladder issue ( not suppose to do that either ) but when the wife goes to work .... It's all Good ! lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.